Sunday, April 27, 2014

DEEPER

How do you see yourself?  

If I put a mirror in front of you and asked you that question, what would you say?

A little more graying at the temples than I'm happy with ...
A too angular and over-sized nose ... 
Some skin discoloration ... 
A couple of zits (at my age?) ...

That's some of what I'd say if you put a mirror in front of me.  The truth is, when most of us look in a mirror, we see far beyond what is apparent on the outside.  We see deeper.

Insecurity ... pride ... secret sin ... failure ... lust ... jealousy ... unworthiness ...

Most of the time what we see are the negatives.

But I wonder what we would see if we really knew God was for us -- that He was working a plan that included us that was a design for good.  I wonder what we would be willing to do for God if we knew we couldn't possibly fail.

The answer to that isn't just about developing a better feeling about yourself.  It isn't about pulling up your bootstraps and trying harder.  The answer is to start believing what God says about you ...

Accepted
Child of God
A friend of Jesus
Alive with Christ
An heir with Christ
Justified and redeemed
No longer a slave to sin
Set free from sin and death
A temple of the Holy Spirit
Triumphant and victorious
The righteousness of God in Christ
Blessed with every spiritual blessing
Chosen, holy and blameless before God
A receiver of boldness and confident access to God thru faith in Christ
Blessed with the peace of God that rules your heart and mind
A member of Christ's body and a participant of His promise
God's workmanship created to produce good works
Brought near to God by the blood of Jesus
Sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise
Predestined to obtain an inheritance
A benefactor of God's supply
Not condemned, but blessed
A new creation in Christ
A citizen of heaven
Light in Jesus
Complete
Chosen
Forgiven and loved forever.

There now ... isn't that way better than what you believe about you?

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Insecurity ... pride ... secret sin ... failure ... lust ... jealousy ... unworthiness ...

Well, let's just start there... I am insecure, you know that. I have no secret sin. I have pretty much laid it on the line here and in my private life. I do feel unworthy of God's love. I know He IS love, so I suppose He loves me, but I am a disappointment to Him, I am sure.

What I wish to be is:

A friend of Jesus

Brought near to God by the blood of Jesus

Not condemned, but blessed

Forgiven and loved forever.


These are the words that touch my heart. Do you really suppose they are true? I am such a nice person, but I am a failure to many people as they know me truly, deep down. I may never be considered a 'success' in life, unless you count my heart. I am a warm and loving person. It is very rare that I don't 'take' to somebody. I just don't know what to make of myself. A loser with no future or a possibility just waiting to happen. Who knows.


Anonymous said...

PK, I have read my post again. I choose to be a 'child of God'. I truly need Him to be a Father and keep me in line, but to love me dearly. Please, someone love me dearly. I need my God, the maker of heaven and earth to help me to be more of the woman He created me to be. I am at a crosswords of my life again. I would be lost without Him.

Anonymous said...

Hello, thought I was sleep blogging again. I don't remember writing this comment but you had me pegged. HAD is the key word though. Every day a little more of the 'old' me dies. Been a challenge to say the least and I am not proud of the person I was but love the person I am in Christ. Trust and have faith. U R L

Feleicia Nixon said...

I posed a question to myself this week, "what if I am asking myself the wrong questions? Seeing the blemished reflections in the mirror can create negative thoughts about ourselves. It's comforting to know that our God do not even notice them and we do not have to hide and make excuses for them. We can stand on His promises and pray for strength in our weak areas. Time to stop putting so much focus on the negative stuff in our lives and center our thoughts on the Righteous One.