Thursday, March 20, 2014

THROAT

Growing up, I always knew and recognized the clearing of a certain throat from across the room:  my mom's.  Usually it was in church when I was talking during the sermon, but it could have been anywhere -- visiting someone's home -- the grocery store -- a crowded room -- the dinner table -- you name it.

She would clear her throat, signaling that I needed to comply with whatever rule I was at that moment breaking.

My entire church youth group started to know her signal.

(in quiet tones):  "Hey.  Your mom just cleared her throat."
"Shhhh!  I know.  I heard her."

The only thing worse would have been for her to get up from her seat and come all the way over to where I was sitting with my friends and put her hand on my shoulder -- something she also did.

But usually she didn't have to do that because I would snap to attention in one way or another.  God forbid she should come and actually sit down beside me and my 13-year old buddy.

The early church did that.  The moment they heard from the Holy Spirit, they knew the Father was speaking.  They knew God had a voice.

When you and I understand that God has a voice - that He really does speak - that He really desires to engage you in conversation - that particular knowledge is transforming.  God isn't some distant Being.  He's right here if you have the ears to hear Him - because God has a voice.

And He's talkin
g, that's for sure.

Dial in.

And be blessed.

No comments: