Wednesday, February 12, 2014

TOGETHER

Can we really have Godly community in our day and age?  

I believe the answer to that is most definitely a resounding 'YES.'

There's a passage in the Bible we don't read very often, but it's inspiring to me because it's such a picture of community.  Paul lists a bunch of people in the church at Rome that he wants to thank … a community of believers who together, made an impact for God.

I know it's long, but I encourage you to read it - slowly - and while you're doing it, think "Community."

“I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church at Cenchreae, so that you may welcome her in the Lord as is fitting for the saints, and help her in whatever she may require from you, for she has been a benefactor of many and of myself as well.  Greet Prisca and Aquila, who work with me in Christ Jesus, and who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.  Greet also the church in their house.  Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert in Asia for Christ.  Greet Mary, who has worked very hard among you.  Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives who were in prison with me; they are prominent among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.  Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord.  Greet Urbanus, our co-worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys.  Greet Apelles, who is approved in Christ.  Greet those who belong to the family of Aristobulus.  Greet my relative, Herodion.  Greet those in the Lord who belong to the family of Narcissus.  Greet those workers in the Lord, Tryphaena and Tryphosa.  Greet the beloved Persis, who has worked hard in the Lord.  Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord; and greet his mother—a mother to me also. Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers and sisters who are with them.  Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them.  Greet one another with a holy kiss.  All the churches of Christ greet you.  I urge you, brothers and sisters, to keep an eye on those who cause dissensions and offenses, in opposition to the teaching that you have learned; avoid them.  For such people do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded … the God of peace will shortly crush Satan under your feet.  The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.”   (Romans 16:1-18, 20)

What a powerful community that sounds like.  Together, greater than the sum of their parts.  Christ has promised to be present in the unified body in a way He is not present in the individual.

That's the kind of community I want to be part of  one that works together - loves together - serves together - worships together - goes out together - speaks words of blessing and life together - drives toward the same vision together.

Think of what could happen  together.

And be blessed.

No comments: