Friday, January 24, 2014

YEARBOOK

This is my high school yearbook picture -- look away -- please.  
Then there are some other students below who graduated the same year as I.  (Why does everyone else look so great?)

Some of the things I did way back then -- the way I spent my discretionary time -- were based on some of my '70s friendships.  

But here's the thing -- I don't even remember most of them now, nor do I have any of those relationships today with one or two exceptions.  Not just because I moved away.  There are plenty of people with whom I have maintained long term connection who no longer live near me.

Why are these people - who I allowed on some level to define my morality and behavior - not in my life today?

Because there was no cause that went beyond us.  Our cause was to have fun in school and fun on the weekends - our cause was to make fun of teachers and squeeze a diploma out of the school.

The cause was about us.  But "YOU" is not a cause that will define, drive, develop or direct your life.  It has to be bigger than you.

And it will cost you a lot.

And be blessed.

No comments: