Sunday, January 12, 2014

ROSEANNE

In the 1990s the show 'Roseanne' was a popular TV sitcom.  It starred comedienne Roseanne Barr and was the story of a working class family struggling with life's essential problems:  marriage, children, money, in laws --- but presented in a rather coarse way.

The last year of the struggling Roseanne series was the same year Ellen DeGeneres came out of the closet on the Oprah Winfrey Show to confess she was gay.  In anticipation of the follow-up announcement on her own show, the Ellen DeGeneres Show garnered an incredible 40% of the ratings.  In a final attempt to boost their own ratings that year, the producers of "Roseanne" wanted her to do something that would rival Ellen's coming out.

They said:  "Ellen did something that really got everybody's attention.  What can WE do that will shock the American public like that and get great ratings?"

Do you what they had the bawdy Roseanne do?  They had her pray on national television.

They had her pray.

Is it possible that real, heartfelt, honest prayer - to the American public - is just as shocking and counter-cultural as what Ellen did.

"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."  (James 5:16)

You want answers to life's problems?  Pray.
You want to be a powerful man or woman?  Pray.
You want to be like Christ?  Pray.
You want to see God's will done on earth as it is in heaven?  Pray.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the second time I sought your counsel at your office. I was talking to you, among other things, about how I was terrified to pray out loud in front of other people.

You asked me if I thought Billy Grahams prayers were more powerful than mine. Of course, I said yes. You told me that we had to get me over that. I don't know, PK...I still think he holds a very special place in God's heart.

I still can have prayers answered, though. He has shown me on many occasions. Fortunately, I don't 'Shoot for the Moon.' Do you often ask for GOD-sized answers to prayer? I guess I just try to keep it in the realm of possibility. Maybe someday I will be braver and see what He says...