Thursday, November 21, 2013

STORY

Are we morally bound to follow the speed limits posted on our city streets and highways?

I was riding with a friend in my car today and we were talking about whether or not speeding was a sin.  I was driving; I wasn't speeding (at the moment).

Is that law a suggestion?  Are we sinning if we break it?

I know you'd like me to point-blank answer that question right now.  Am I going to?

Ummmmm . . . . . . .

Some of us feel that way about The Book.  It's chock-full of laws to be followed.  Do this and go to heaven; do that and go to 'you know where.'  But it's so much more.

Along with the laws and commands of the Bible are more than 3,000 blessings, promises and assurances from God.  That said, a lot of folks open it up with one basic intent:  Tell me something nice.

But the Bible is also far more than a glorified Hallmark card with pretty words designed to make our day a little brighter.

Do you know what a Rorschach Test is?  It's those inkblots used by psychologists (like the one here) to measure a person's emotional and personality characteristics by having them describe what images they see when they look at them.  Whatever you see in the inkblot is a projection of your own inner workings - or so they say.

'God isn't trying to stump you.'

Some people treat the Bible like an inkblot where the reader projects onto the Bible whatever he or she wants to see.  Republicans see Jesus as a Republican (what?! ... sorry).  Democrats see Him as a Democrat (ditto).  They see Him as Someone of their own making.  When these folks open the Bible, their approach is: 'Tell me my views are solid and that I'm OK.'  But that isn't what the Bible is either.

For others, it's Intellectual Property.  It's a puzzle to be solved, and once solved, it can be glued and shellacked and framed and stuck to the nearest wall to be admired.  "I have this mastered," they say.

The problem isn't that we shouldn't be theologians of sorts or that we shouldn't be grapplers of the tough issues.  Of course we should.  But the great goal of the believer who picks up the Bible is to enter the Story and apply it personally to life.  God isn't trying to stump you.

He's trying to tell you He loves you and gave His Son at great cost to Himself so you could have relationship with Him.  He wants to enter your heart and thoughts and actions so you enter the Story in such a way that the Story enters you - so that the Story shapes everything about you.

It isn't a law book; it's a love book.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Brad K said...

The "puzzle" metaphor brought me to tears. Thank you PK.

Funny true story, my Pastor uncle told me when i was driving at age 16 with him in the car to "Not speed because we are to obey the laws of God and man".

He also refused to wear his seat belt because he is a large man.

Guess "Because I said so" is not a good answer here either lol.

PK's BLOG said...

HA. Nice.