Thursday, October 24, 2013

STRANGE

John MacArthur recently put together and hosted the Strange Fire Conference, peppered with notable speakers such as R.C. Sproul, Conrad Mbewe, Steve Lawson, Phil Johnson and others.

The purpose of the conference was to lay down what is seen as 'truth' by these regarding the role of The Holy Spirit in 2013.

These believe in cessationism -- that the miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit ceased after the first century.   Continuationism, as we believe at Journey Church, is that the gifts of the Holy Spirit continue in operation in the church today.

To borrow from T. Challies, 'It's the elephant in the room.  We can't all be right and we can't both be right.  Sooner or later there must be a discussion.'

The problem here - one of them - is that MacArthur and the rest assign what we believe as the legitimate gifts of the Holy Spirit (yes, there are abuses) to the devil.  If they truly believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit are of the devil, there is a deep chasm where even friendship - and certainly joint ministry - would be at serious risk.

In response to this question, our own Assemblies of God Superintendent, George Wood, spoke:


"Dr. MacArthur believes that the miraculous gifts of the Spirit ceased with the close of the Apostolic Era and that the Pentecostal and charismatic movements are therefore theologically aberrant at a foundational level.
By contrast, Pentecostal and charismatic Christians believe that “the promise [i.e., the gift of the Holy Spirit] is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call” (Acts 2:39). With this promise comes the evidential sign of speaking in other tongues and power to be witnesses of Jesus Christ “to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8, 2:4, cf. Luke 24:49). Consequently, following the Apostle Paul’s teaching, we “eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit” (1 Corinthians 14:1).
While there have been isolated aberrations of behavior and doctrine over the past century among those who self-identify as Pentecostal or charismatic, the movement as a whole has proved a vital force in world evangelization—a fulfillment of the promise Jesus made to His disciples in Acts 1:8. On behalf of the 66 million adherents and 360,000+ churches in the World Assemblies of God Fellowship, I thank God that the faith and life of the Acts 2 church are still being believed and experienced today.
The Assemblies of God celebrates 100 years in 2014 and remains committed to the full authority of God’s Word. As a founding member of the National Association of Evangelicals, the Assemblies of God has sought to cooperate in the Great Commission with Christians of like-minded faith, even when they are not Pentecostal and charismatic and we remain committed to that collaboration.
We trust the time will come when Dr. John MacArthur and those who share his perspective will acknowledge the great contribution that Pentecostals and Charismatics are making in the evangelization of individuals without Christ. We pray God’s blessings on their efforts to share His gospel with a lost and dying world. Pentecostals and charismatics are their co-laborers in this effort so we ask that they would similarly pray for God’s blessing on us as we seek to fulfill the Great Commission that God has given us all."

Thank you, Dr. Wood.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I first began attending JC. The first time someone spoke in tongues I was surprised, but later, when it happened subsequently, I thought is was the most amazing thing! I was so excited to know that God was speaking to all of us at that moment. I suppose I am somewhat surprised that other denominations don't believe it is God-inspired. After being in church at the time, you can just feel the presence of God. Satan has no part in it. I have been curious about the interpreter, though. How do they really know the words of God? What if they are wrong in their interpretation?

Anonymous said...

Have you ever known that the speaking of tongues was not of God when it was done in church? It's hard to imagine. I just can't imagine that they don't believe. I could understand it if it was done by someone outside of church, but not in a House Of God. Satan could never have his way in JC.

It makes me think of the old-time Pentecostals...or maybe they are still around. My Great Aunt Ruth was Pentecostal. She always wore a dress and had her hair in a bun. She was very devout and a very, very good woman. Of course, I was a child and I didn't really know about her faith too much. I just knew that she was God-fearing and strict, but kind.

When I think of her, it makes me wonder how Assemblies of God evolved from the Pentecostal church. They had very strict rules of behavior and dress and activities.

Anonymous said...

PK, I was very curious, so I Googled the Strange Fire Conference. My goodness, John MacArthur is very vehement in his views of the Charismatic faith. I found myself feeling very indignant and, I admit, a little angry. He couldn't possibly be among the speaking of tongues and interpretation in a church. I always feel awe-inspired by God speaking to us.

I guess the thing I find most bothersome is that he is so certain and speaks with such conviction. And on the other hand, our pastors (you) are equally sure. It does give you a moment to ponder. I most definitely align myself with our faith. But there are SO many interpretations of the Bible. I just want to know what is TRUE. What does God say? He does He feel about it all? It often gets very confusing.