Saturday, October 12, 2013

HEART

There's a general belief out there that your own heart is a fairly reliable internal compass that will point you to happiness and your own true north.  Your heart will save you.

Not.

If our hearts are compasses, they're a lot more like Batman's JOKER.  They aren't benevolent; they're pathologically selfish.  If we do what our hearts suggest, every hope, every dream, every desire, every beauty will be perverted.

Our hearts won't save us.  We need to be saved from our hearts.

'We need to be saved from our hearts.'

Think about it for a moment.  Your heart has likely said things you'd never want repeated out loud.  Do you want to follow that?

'God's Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.'  (Psalm 119:105)

Follow that instead.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's depressing.... :/ I kind of disagree with you. I am at my best when my heart is open and big. I've been depressed and closed off before and it wasn't a pretty sight. I agree that some things our hearts desire are better not to go after. Some things are harmful, sinful and hurtful.

I wouldn't really want everything my heart desires. What would I have left to look forward to? For instance, I really, really wanted to buy this cute new outfit. So, I do...soon after, it is not so desirable. I suddenly want a whole new outfit. I used to have more clothes than I could possible wear. I used to want to go to very nice restaurants all of the time. I really love to, don't get me wrong, but I can buy a weeks worth of groceries for one dinner out. Stuff like that.

When it comes to people that my heart has cared deeply for, I have no regrets throughout my life. The men I have known and loved, have made me a better person for having known them. I've had my heart broken my share of times, but as the saying goes, "Better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all." For better or worse, I wouldn't change a thing. Of course, I am happily single now, so maybe I am not a good example. It's not because I am bitter or hurt. Mostly, it is because I like making my own choices without having to consult with anyone. It's all a trade-off.

I don't know, PK. It sounds unusually pessimistic of you. Oh well. Maybe this makes a good sermon. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning! :)