Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DOUBT

We usually say that doubt is the absence of faith.

Perhaps.

I think doubt is a lack of confidence that God will keep His promises.

Maybe it's semantics, but it seems that real doubt is the mindset that keeps on saying, 'I don't know if God will really come thru or not.'

Let's put some sample promises on the table.

God has promised to provide.  'My God will supply all my needs according to His glorious riches in Jesus.'  But ... maybe He won't provide.  Maybe He won't.

God has promised to protect.  'No weapon formed against you will prosper.'  But ... maybe He won't.  Maybe something terrible is going to happen anyhow.

God has promised to prosper us as our soul prospers in Him.  'For God bestows favor and honor; no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.'  Your life won't lack one thing that could increase your joy if you walk in integrity with God.  Then again ... maybe not.

Doubt is a lack of confidence that God will keep these and other promises.  And when the questions keep on winning in our hearts, that eventually becomes a lifestyle where doubt rules.

Believe.
Trust.
Know.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I am just being contrary, but what about all of the times when God says no...or wait 40 years and I will fulfill my promise? How do you ever know?

Before I continue in this vein, let me say..."God has provided for me far more than I ever deserved." I mean that. I just don't truly know how to read the Bible and understand it. It 'seems' to be full of contradictions.

I Believe God can do anything, for sure. I Trust that He will do what's best...even if I don't think so. I Know He is there. He has shown me time and again. I cannot lose sight of that. I just ask, how can we know which direction His ways will take us? I swear, PK, I often have many more questions than answers.