Sunday, September 1, 2013

HUMILITY

There's a country song that goes: 'It's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.'

Whatever.  But we could all use some tips in order to get humble or stay humble - not that I'm an expert on this - but here goes:

- Know Your Limitations
Realize there's almost always somebody who can do that thing you do so well even better than you.

- Recognize Your Faults
This isn't the same as #1 even though it sounds like it.  We tend to harshly judge others because it takes the spotlight off of us.  I love ya, but you're not that great.

- Be Grateful
Count your blessings.  You have a lot to be thankful for.

- Appreciate Others
When you begin to do just this one point, you're well on the way to greater humility.

- Stop Comparing Yourself to Others
... Either positively or negatively.

- Learn from Someone Else
There's a lot of wisdom out there.  Take advantage of it.  When you ask someone's advice about something, you are - by definition - saying: 'You're better at this than I,' and that's a measure of humility.

- Wonder More.
We think we know so much, but when we begin to be amazed the way a child is amazed, we'll be more eager to learn and learning is always a sign of humility.

- Help Somebody.
When you help someone who can't possibly help you back, that's humility.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this list! I know my limitations and recognize my faults. No quarrel there.

However, I am incredibly grateful for all of the blessings that God has bestowed on me. I am so happy with my life!

I deeply appreciate my friends and family and often tell and show them. It gives me great joy to share my love with them.

I always learn much...often from you. You have been a trusted advisor. I think you are a very wise counselor.

I am filled with wonder! The world that God has created is an endless fascination. I could never get bored. I know, for me, the internet is like a huge spider web. I start out in one place and find another 10 avenues and paths to research and read about. When you stop and consider it all, we all are connected as people and the universe. Just as the body of the church has different parts that make the whole function properly, the world and universe have a place for every single one of God's creation. It is truly amazing.

I try to help others, but I am afraid I don't do it nearly enough. Sometimes, I get wrapped up in my own little world and discoveries and I don't venture out to see what others need. I am beginning to do that more at my job, but still. I have room for improvement.

Of all of the things you have listed, I think my biggest area is not to compare myself with others. I am considerably better than I used to be when I was younger, but I still have times when I am sure that I don't measure up. But, when everything is said and done, I have my moments when I am doing just fine. :)