Saturday, August 24, 2013

TREASURE

Sometimes people go: 'Sure, I'll take God if He'll help me with my marriage ... Yeah, I'll love God if He'll help me with my finances ... I'll take God if He'll fix my situation.'

And when that doesn't happen the way they want or in the timing they expect, all of a sudden God has betrayed them because he didn't give them what He didn't promise in the first place.

When our end goal isn't God and God alone, we put ourselves in a very tenuous position - because the only joy in the universe that can't be taken from you is your joy in Christ.  Every other joy can be stolen.

'Christ is the only thing that can't be taken away.'

We've missed that.  We don't view loss or difficult correctly when our main goal is something other than God Himself.  The apostle Paul said it something like this:  'Since Christ is my greatest treasure, anything, whether good or difficult that gets me closer to my treasure gets rejoiced in.'

Think about how often that doesn't happen with us.

We say to God: 'Please get me out of this situation.  Rescue me from this circumstance.'   But Paul seems to be saying: 'This thing going on in my life got me more Jesus.  I've learned to be content specifically because of this thing.' 

So now, when I have money, praise Him; when my pockets are empty, praise Him.  When my health is soaring, praise Him; when I'm on a sickbed, praise Him.  When life is good, praise Him; when life stinks, praise Him.  Because Christ is your treasure.

Every now and then you see somebody who really gets this.  Even in their cancer they rejoice.  Why?  Because it gets them closer to their treasure.  Because Christ is the only thing what can never be taken away.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never felt as though God has betrayed me. Even in my most difficult times (of my own making) He rescued me! I was destroying and wasting my life and He leveled my life. I was flat broke, my health was poor and I was losing my apartment. And I just didn't want to go on. THEN, I found that He had given me a new life...one in which I was ever so grateful for. I got a wonderful new job, I am sharing a place with my Mom, which actually works wonderfully for both of us. We split the bills and now we both have lots of money each month. It is a win-win. I'm working most of the time, so she has the place to herself anyway.

I wasn't completely sure how this new job would be, but it is awesome! A lot of perks and I am a cashier, which suits me. I am a very nice person (if I do say so myself) and I love helping people and chatting with them a bit throughout the day. I really feel as if I have found my niche'. I have been praying for the last couple of days that God would help me to master my job (it's fairly complicated actually) and He did! I feel very competent now. I know it doesn't sound so complicated, but it is like using a computer. You have to know the codes.

Anyway, sorry to make this so personal, but now that I've 'got it' I am really ready to shine God's light! No more nerves, just love and warmth to all of the people I meet. I am thrilled with God's plans for me! I am excited to see what He has for my future. Positive or negative, I know it will be BEST.

PK, I am sorry. I hope you don't mind me sharing this. I'm just so happy! I am sure it shows and I hope it draws more people in to God. He is so good! :)

Anonymous said...

Well said Pastor. Psalm 73:25-26 reads "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

To want God and God alone must be the goal of our heart once we are in Christ. Never an easy road. Being human comes with many diversions and temptations to cling to the passing things of this world. We should enjoy what God gives to us but we must never cling to those blessings or idolize anything on this earth.

Our pastoral team at JC seems to be infused with Godly passion. We pray for you every day because in many ways - as you walk, so will we.

Anonymous said...

I was very inspired by your words yesterday, and I thank you for them. All too often do I find myself not giving enough of myself to God. Yesterday you spoke of "functioning Atheists". It felt as if you were speaking directly to me. It is easy to say what I want to do, or how I want to live when it comes to following God. The truth is, that I often forget about him until Sunday morning, and that is something that I am not proud of. I have to thank him for everything, good or bad, because without him, there would be nothing. Thank you again for your strong words, it was exactly what I needed.