Sunday, August 11, 2013

LIMITED

Let's just talk honestly and openly.  If you live long enough, there will come a day - an hour - a season - where you're lost as to what God is doing.

You can argue with Him about what He's doing.  You can yell - scream - clench your fists - set your jaw - question - but the hard truth is: God is unlimited, and even though you may have one over-sized-Mensa-type brain, you're very limited.  He knows what's going on and you don't.

Right now - wherever you're reading this from, you don't know what's going on down the street.  If you're kids are out of the room at the moment, you don't really know what they're doing (you might want to run and check before finishing this post).  What's happening at your relative's house or your best friend's place right now?  You don't know.

'You aren't that awesome.'

You and I are limited in time - we're limited in authority - we're limited in knowledge - we're limited in understanding.  And here's the crazy part.  Most of the time we act as if we're unaware of that fact.  Everything in our culture screams of your endless personal possibilities and your unlimited personal potential.  What's one of the largest sections at your local bookstore?  The self-help and self-improvement section.

Here's why I say that.  I love you and all but -- you aren't that awesome.  Further, nobody has lied to you more than you.  Nobody has betrayed you more than you.  You aren't going to be able to fix you.

Here's why that's good news: Embracing that fact will cause you to seek Someone outside of you to solve your issues.  It will cause you to seek Someone outside of you to rescue you.  That Someone is God.  And He is unlimited.

He really is that awesome.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed someone to rescue me from myself before. When I was behaving like a complete moron and sinning over and over again. Thank God that is over! (I still sin, but you know what I mean).

I can't say I have ever been mad at God for anything. I have fairly normal questions sometimes, but I never question His authority. Honestly, I am glad someone is in charge, because if I were left to my own devices, I would undoubtedly mess things up.

I have no idea what God is up to in my life, but I know He wants what is best for me to grow as His servant, so I am excited to see what is in store! He's been exceedingly good to me, so I have faith that He will see after me. I may still have difficulties ahead, but whatever it takes to help me grow I am ok with. I want to be the best me that I can.

BTW, I loved the sermon, but missed the live version. The setting was cool, though.

Anonymous said...

When you spoke about positioning in your message, it made me wonder...as Pastor are you in a position of authority over me? I have a hard time thinking of you that way. I just treat you like one of my cooler friends. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye and there were times I am sure you were exasperated with me. I sometimes have that effect on people..haha. At least we have been able to put our differences aside and found common ground. So, if God is at the top of the ladder and you are somewhere towards that direction, where does that put me?

I didn't grow up in the church, so I don't really have that sort of reverence for pastors. Especially you. You are so down-to-earth and normal that it just makes me smile to think of you in such a lofty way. Where are you in the scheme of things? :)

PK's BLOG said...

It's a good question. Everybody has people they're in submission to. Children to parents ... employees to bosses .... all of us to government/police/authorities in our communities. The Bible is clear that our submission should be to one another all the time - mutually - but nobody denies there is 'order' in the universe. We submit to those in authority over us on a daily basis. Spiritually speaking, those in shepherd/pastoral leadership in churches (called 'overseers' in the Bible) are responsible to teach and shepherd the church, protect the sheep from false teaching, set up systems for the flock to be nurtured and cared for and wisely counseled. The Bible speaks about 'giving honor where honor is due' in this regard.

Having said that, nobody should put anyone on a pedestal. There's a difference between 'pastoring' and 'lording' over others.

Anonymous said...

No, I don't think you have ever lorded anything over me. And I respect you immensely. You are an awesome pastor. I just wondered, because sometimes I like to joke with you. Other times, I am serious or curious and you are always good about answering my important questions. I hope you always know that I think of you very highly. I like the way you let us into your personality and are easy to relate to, though. :)