Tuesday, August 27, 2013

FINISHED

Good people deserve good stuff and bad people deserve bad stuff.  It's logical enough.  The idea that bad people get good stuff offends me.

What I forget is that the entire story of the Bible is not about how God has blessed good people, but about how He has blessed bad ones.

As someone has said: This is a one-way story of love.

I am continually tempted to put fences around grace.  I'd like the fence to be low enough for me to step over - but once over, I yearn for it to be waist high - shoulder high - even head high - for those coming behind me.

Grace scares me to death.  It is completely reckless.  Irresponsible.  It leaves me naked.  Suspicious.  Wary.  Too good to be true.  There's a catch somewhere.

'Grace scares me to death.'

But no.  There is no fine print.  No conditions.  No trick warranty.  No footnotes too small to read.  No bait-and-switch.  Extravagant.  Scandalous.  Outrageous.  Incredible.  Undeserved.  Shameful.

Jesus took your rap sheet and put it on Himself.  Your record has been transferred to Him and vice versa.

Finished.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how someone will do a terrible crime and family and friends will say that they don't know what happened, because "He was a good person?" Well, I always thought of myself as a good person doing bad things, but deep-down I have a good heart. In some ways that is true, but that's too easy. It is a little bit like giving myself a pass. I was a wretched, selfish, and deeply sinful person for about 2 years. Don't ask me why God gave me another chance to change it all. I never deserved it. THAT is grace. I am so lost without Him. This time I am running with this second chance. Hopefully, straight into His arms when I die. It's a lot to look forward to. This life is just a test drive...the real deal is in Heaven.

Kevin said...

I was having one of the worst days I'd had in a long time, and I had actually asked God earlier tonight why other people who aren't Christian seem to have everything going their way. I finally got around to checking my email and reading your daily post. Talk about God answering when you least expect it.

Thank you for your daily posts - they are a blessing to me.

Kevin said...

I was having one of the worst days I'd had in a long time, and I had actually asked God earlier tonight why other people who aren't Christian seem to have everything going their way. I finally got around to checking my email and reading your daily post. Talk about God answering when you least expect it.

Thank you for your daily posts - they are a blessing to me.