Monday, July 1, 2013

UNINTENTIONAL

Someone said: 'Living is like dancing.'  People unintentionally bump into each other and step on each other's toes every day.

I could probably fill the rest of the year's blog with a daily report of folks that have been hurt by me unintentionally.  I could fill the following year with a daily report of folks who've hurt me unintentionally.  It happens.


The list of people I've hurt intentionally is far
shorter - quite short, actually.  Usually it was for some real or perceived offense they had committed against me.  On those rare times when I've been intentional about that, I always thought it would feel good.  And maybe it did - momentarily.  But after a short while, it felt raunchy - terrible - indefensible - the stuff of wide-awake nights.

'People unintentionally bump into each other and step on each other's toes every day.'

In the words of others:
'Goodness is the only investment that never fails.'  --- Thoreau

'It takes less time to do a thing right than it does to explain why you did it wrong.'  --- Longfellow

'There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.'  --- French Proverb

'Don't try to be different.  Just be good.  To be good is different enough.'  --- Freed

'You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in Your bottle.  Are they not in Your book?'  --- David

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you often find yourself, as Pastor, hurting people when you stand on God's Word and the teachings of the Bible? Our church has so many members...each with their own lives and personalities. It would seem impossible not to. I am hoping that our recent exchanges haven't hurt anyone, but I think that it is good to talk about the "elephant in the room".

PK's BLOG said...

I do not find that many people being hurt by the truth-telling of the Word. I suppose it happens from time to time, but those aren't the bulk of situations where people get hurt, in my experience. I don't think these things are particularly unique to pastors, but to people in general.

Anonymous said...

Yes, most of the times that I have been hurt is because of my own insecurities and baggage.

I agree...when I have gotten angry and said things that I soon regret, I feel terrible.