Sunday, July 28, 2013

OFFENDED

When you come to faith, you're going to find out very soon (especially if you hang around Journey Church very long) that this life isn't about you.  

People get offended sometimes when we say that, but it's just the core of the Gospel.  It's about others.

Jesus was our model for this.  He said: 'I didn't come to be served, but to serve.'  How can we think for one moment then that any of this is about us after Jesus said a thing like that?

What was Jesus' mission?  To seek and save others.  This life isn't about you.  We say it today - we'll say it tomorrow - we'll say it next week and next month and next year and ten years from now.

Whenever you meet the real Jesus, He says things like: 'Do you want to follow Me?'  He doesn't say: 'Go tell the guy onstage what you need to hear 52 weekends in a row.'  No, He says:  'You want to follow Me?  Then die to you.  Die every day.  Come after Me with all you have and you'll start seeing things differently.  You'll see the fields are white for harvesting.'  

Time is short.  That's your mission now.  Love God ... love people ... reach your world ... stop thinking about you.

And don't be offended.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking during your message Sat. night that I don't have enough deep relationships outside of family. I tend to be an introvert and in the recent past I have been somewhat isolated. That will soon change. I will be in contact with plenty of people and I am perfectly excited about that! I love working as a team and I enjoy helping others.

Before, when I was plugged into God and to JC, I was walking as if on a cloud. I was looking forward to each new day and extremely happy. I love sharing that feeling with others. I want to be a good witness for Jesus and draw others to Him. Yes, the "fields will be white for harvesting." It will be a whole new group of people and experiences. I can't wait! I have heard you say before that God has us perfectly positioned to reach the people around us. I hope I can do that.

Do you have any good advice for setting the tone when meeting many new people? The last time I was already working when I was saved, so my friends saw the change in me. This time I will be going into a new workplace as a Christian already. I'm not going to shout it from the rooftops, but I want my co-workers to know fairly soon that I am a Christian. And I want them to see that I am a kind person, not judgmental.

PS...I know it's not all about me, but I still learn a lot from the messages. :)