Sunday, July 21, 2013

GARBAGE

Each of us needs two life bins - a garbage bin and a re-cycling bin.

Everybody has a garbage can, whether you live in a 60-room mansion or a one room apartment.  My garbage man comes every Thursday.  I love Thursdays.  I love watching him come haul it away.  I don't know where he takes it - I don't really care - all I know is he gets rid of it for me.  I'm depressed for seven days if I miss Thursday's pickup.

Most of us have a recycling bin too.  But the stuff you put in there comes back.  You put in a bottle and it comes back as a skateboard.

One gets hauled away and incinerated.  You're rid of it forever.  The other gets re-made, restored, renewed.  Change is only possible if you get the right stuff in the right bin - because there's certain stuff you need hauled away - forgiven - forgotten - forever.  And there are other things you need to turn over to God so He can re-make them - renew them - restore them - redeem them.

So first, you have to take out the trash.  I'm talking about giving your stinky, smelly junk to Christ so He can haul it away.  And that isn't just a one time thing.  You don't take your garbage out to the curb just once.  It's ongoing.

Some of that junk is things from our past - things we regret.
You committed a crime.
You were intimate with someone who wasn't your spouse.
You were harsh with your children.
You were distant from your parents.
The regrets and mistakes haven't mounted.
You drank too heavily - you had a failed marriage - a DUI - a serious financial mistake - you cheated - you abused someone.  Maybe it was big, maybe it was small - but we all have garbage.

'Jesus went to the cross and said ... "I'll tell you who you are."'

Because those become not just things we did - they become anchored to our identity.  The enemy comes and says: 'It isn't just that you did that.  You're a pervert.  You're a scumbag.  You're worthless.  You're damaged goods.  You're filthy.  You're a wreck.  You're disgusting.'

But Jesus went to the cross and said:  "I beg to differ.  I'll tell you who you are.  You're a precious, chosen, forgiven, marked child of God -- I'll haul your garbage away forever and you can be free and clear and forgiven if you'll put your trust in Me."

You just have to put the right stuff in the right bin.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if I would end up with my own "garbage" to have Jesus take out today. We have had my brother and nephew in town visiting. My nephew is delightful and he is fun to talk with. And I have been enjoying being around my brother, too. It's just some comments have been made that have either hurt or made us angry. Anyway, I ended up being very short with my brother this morning. I won't bore you with the details, but I came across in an equally rude way. The thing is, I hardly ever see my brother since he lives across the country. I absolutely did not want this to be anything other than a great family time. I felt bad about my reaction, though.

We all went out tonight for dinner and before we got there, I was feeling irritable. But when we got there, he was really nice then. At first, there was this pouty little part of me that wanted to stay mad. Then, honestly, I thought, "How would Jesus want me to act?" So I responded in a loving way to his conversation. As the night went on, we were back to having fun and all was forgotten. I felt a huge sigh of relief, because I love my brother and I want to enjoy our brief time together.

So, when I stopped myself and asked how Jesus would want me to behave, it was easy to sweep that "garbage" right where it belonged. Maybe Jesus really is changing my heart inside...I'd like to think so.

June Pysto said...

I loved the whole church service that this was part of.
I do want to make some comments on a cat's point-of-view, as the owner of several cats. Lying in the morning sunshine,"This is the life and it all belongs to me!" At food dish, "Time to get fat. Fat is good." At water fountain, This is all my domain! It all belongs to me!" Waking man by jumping on him,"He will be happy to see me, once he gets over this!" Watching male servant clean box, "This is the life! My own house with servants!" Taking off with man's chess pieces,"I have my own army to guard my secret stash of pens, Christmas ornaments, and scented oil sticks! It all belongs to me!" Watching people work,"It is so satisfying to have servants." Taking a nap," This is the life!"

PK's BLOG said...

LOL about the cats.