Tuesday, June 4, 2013

PRAYER

There was a great passion for obedience to God in our Champions group this evening -- about 10 guys who meet together monthly to talk about what God is doing in their lives.

Tonight we talked about risking for God - facing our fears - the importance of not being passive - that God answers every prayer, even ones we don't think He's answering.  NO is still an answer.

That prompted me to investigate the things the early church prayed for.  Here's the list:
They called on God to exalt His own name in the world.
"Pray like this: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name"  (Matthew 6:9).
They called on God to extend his kingdom in the world.
"Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven"  (Matthew 6:10).
They called on God that the gospel would triumph.
"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed on and triumph, as it did among you" (2 Thessalonians 3:1).
They called on God to save unbelievers.
"Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved"  (Romans 10:1).
They called on God for boldness.
"Pray at all times in the Spirit . . . and also for me, that utterance may be given me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel"  (Ephesians 6:18-19).
They called on God for signs and wonders.
"And now Lord . . . grant your servants to speak thy word with boldness . . . while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of thy holy servant Jesus"  (Acts 4:30).
They called on God to supply His troops with necessities.
"Give us this day our daily bread"  (Matthew 6:11).
They called on God for strategic wisdom.
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all men generously and without reproaching, and it will be given him:  (James 1:5).
They called on God to send out reinforcements.
"Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest"  (Matthew 9:38).
They called on God for unity and harmony in the ranks.
"I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent Me"  (John 17:20-21).
They called on God for the encouragement of togetherness.
"[We are] praying earnestly night and day that we may see you face to face and supply what is lacking in your faith?"  (1 Thessalonians 3:10).
They called on God for a mind of discernment.
"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more in with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ"  (Philippians 1:9-10).
They called on God to know him better.
"[We have not ceased to pray for you to be] increasing in the knowledge of God"  (Colossians 1:10;  Ephesians 1:17 ).
They called on God for power to comprehend the love of Christ.
"I bow my knees before the Father . . . that you may have power to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge"  (Ephesians 3:14,18).
They called on God for a deeper sense of assured hope.
"I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers . . . that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints"  (Ephesians 1:16,18).
They called on God for strength and endurance.
"[We have not ceased to pray for you to be] strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy"  (Colossians 1:11Ephesians 3:16).
They called on God for deeper sense of His power within them.
"I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers . . . that you may know . . . what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe"  (Ephesians 1:1619).
They called on God for greater faith.
"Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, 'I believe; help my unbelief!'" (Mark 9:24;  Ephesians 3:17).
They called on God that they might not fall into temptation.
"Lead us not into temptation"  (Matthew 6:13).
They called on God that they would do good works.
"[We have not ceased to pray for you that you] lead a life worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work"  (Colossians 1:10).
They called on God or forgiveness for their sins.
"Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors"  (Matthew 6:12).
And be blessed. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I am praying more than ever lately. In spite of my circumstances I feel peace and thankfulness that God is providing. I am very fortunate that my family is there, too.

In the past couple of days, one of the people in my immediate family has had a big financial setback concerning his job. Pretty common these days. It is going to affect the rest of us as well. The thing is I have great faith in God that we will all be fine. It is one of those times when we will all pull together and do this as a family. I am committed to do anything I can to help.

PK, we talked before about how people are more likely to turn to God when things are bad. I hope they do. Maybe that has been God's plan all along. I have been praying and will continue to, but after seeing this post I think I will pray just as much for them to seek God to help them thru this.

I believe that this will make our family even stronger as we all work together to see this thru. I hope they will begin to understand that it is God who is in control and He loves them.