Monday, June 24, 2013

GARAGE

Jesus was a lousy recruiter.  When He invited the first 12 to join Him, He didn't say: 'Hey boys, come follow Me.  It's going to be awesome.  We're going to ride and eat in style ... first class ... express lanes everywhere ... five-star accommodations ... free coffee and donuts ... '

Instead, He said: 'I'm going to send you out as sheep among wolves ... so beware, for you'll be delivered over to courts and they'll flog you in their synagogues, and you'll be dragged before authorities and beaten within an inch of your life.'

So ... good times.

'Come follow Me.  We're all gonna run for our lives.  It's gonna be really scary and barbaric.  You're gonna love it.  Who's in?  Oh yeah, almost forgot.  Brother will deliver brother over to death and fathers will turn against children and children will rise up against parents and have them put to death, and everybody's gonna hate you because of Me.  WHO'S IN?'

Behind it all there's a Jesus who says, 'Let's go do this.  Who's in?'

Because behind our security needs -- behind the temperature controlled interiors of our minivans -- behind the safety of our garage doors -- is a wild, unexpected, risky Jesus leading us on a wild, unexpected risky journey.  Behind it all there's a Jesus who says: 'Let's go do this.  Who's in?'

Are you in?

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in, but I feel beyond blessed that I live in a free country and I can worship whom I wish. You recently posted about the most dangerous countries to be a Christian. I often wonder, when I think about Christians who are in that situation, would I be as courageous? It troubles me, because I am a coward when it comes to physical pain. I can easily handle differing beliefs and opinions. My prayer would be that God would help me to be strong.

When I first became a Christian I read the Left Behind series of books. When they wrote about End Times and what it was like for Christians I hoped that I would be Raptured instead. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the series, but I know you know all about Revelations. Will it be horrible for those who are left behind? For those who believe they are Christians, but aren't living it and aren't Raptured? Being a new Christian when I read it it really scared me to death...and it still does in some ways.