Sunday, June 16, 2013

FATHER'S DAY

I know it's kind of backwards today -- but I'm thankful to my kids for making me a Dad.  They're all adults now but they're great examples of the grace and work of God.  I'm proud of each one -- his/her giftings, skills, abilities, personality.  I'm ultra-blessed to be the father of such a group.

It was great getting a call from each of them individually today -- expected -- but nevertheless great.  It's amazing any one of them turned out normal (remains to be seen, I suppose), given some of the ways I 'fathered.'

Here is a sampling of some of the things I said to them down thru the years:

Don't ask me, ask your mother.
Don't worry.  It's only blood.
I'm not just talking to hear my own voice.
Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about.
You're gonna like it cuz I said you're gonna like it.
If your best friend jumped off a bridge, would you too?
What part of "NO" don't you understand?
I'm going to count to three . . .
Wait until I get you home.
Who said life was supposed to be fair?
You're a girl, but you can do anything a boy can do (with the exception of one or two things).
As long as you tried your hardest, that's all that matters.
Turn off the lights.  Do you think I'm made out of money?
Close the door.  You weren't born in a barn, were you?
Shut the window.  I'm not heating the outdoors.
You didn't beat me; I let you win.
As long as you live under my roof, you'll live by my rules.
When I was your age . . .
I'll tell you why; because I said so. 
I wasn't sleeping.  I was watching that channel.
That isn't a tear.  I just have something in my eye (said when I was driving them to college for the first time.)
Don't you know any normal boys?
You know you're not leaving this house dressed like that, right?
Try smiling.
Wipe that smile off your face.
Animals sweat.  Boys perspire.  Girls 'feel the heat.'
You want something to do?  I'll give you something to do.
You know you'll always be Daddy's girl.
I love you, daughter (and now ... I love you, son).

Dad -- give thanks that they made you a father.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you had an excellent Father's Day and a big shout out to all of those terrific Dads out there!

I remember when you were doing the NEW series and talking about marriage and families...you said the #1 need for men is to be honored. My daughter is married with 2 young children and another on the way. She wrote the best message today on FB to her husband. She wrote several things, but she thanked him for working hard to take care of and to provide for their amazing and growing family...for going above and beyond, because she was able to stay at home with the kids and they all love it. She always has such positive and encouraging things to say about and to him. It just makes me grateful as a Mom that she married such an awesome man.