Friday, June 28, 2013

DOMA

I rarely do this, but after reading a blog by E. Stetzer on the DOMA issue - and him saying what I would want to say on this topic, only a lot better, I am posting portions of his article here for your consideration . . .


Last week, the largest Christian ministry devoted to helping homosexuals struggle against their attractions apologized to the gay community and announced it was shutting down.

Today the Supreme Court of the United States struck down parts of the Defense of Marriage Act, passed in 1996. The Supreme Court also declined to rule on Proposition 8 from California.
Needless to say, our culture is changing-- quickly and dramatically on this issue.  But how should Christians respond?
Our typical response has been to post on blogs, write articles, and send tweets to shout about our opinion and speak out against those who differ.  But, I'm not sure that is the best approach.  Why?  Because courts don't determine biblical morality, and regardless of what government does, churches shouldn't stop their mission.
Fifty-eight percent of American adults agree same-sex marriage is a civil rights issue, and 64 percent believe the legalization of same-sex marriage in the United States is inevitable.  Despite evangelical Christian belief that homosexual activity is personally sinful, society has increasingly decided that gay marriage is legally permissible.
But to an ever-increasing majority of our culture that view is discriminatory and, ironically, they sometimes appeal to Scripture for their justification.  When President Obama announced his "evolution" on the issue last summer, he quoted Jesus' Golden Rule.  Proponents of same-sex marriage hold that societal change is necessary to treat others as we would like to be treated, regardless of our views of morality and sin.  Christians have always taught that God's standard and intent is one man, one woman, one marriage, for one lifetime.  That position makes sense to us based on the Bible's clear teachings.
We must realize that believing what the Bible says about sexuality will increasingly put us at odds with our culture.  Pressure will continue to mount to accept a worldview rooted in cultural acceptance rather than Biblical revelation.  And we must prepare ourselves for the day when acceptance will not be enough — affirmation may be demanded to be a part of society.
For example, I was preaching at Pathway Vineyard Church in Maine on the Sunday after the state of Maine legalized gay marriage.  After such a strong statement and shift in the culture around them, what did the believers there do?  The same thing they did the week before: loved people, served the hurting, and preached Jesus.For those Christians seeking to witness real cultural impact, our public conversation should not begin with opposition to homosexuality -- but with our witness for Christ in word and in deed.  We need to show grace and friendship to those who struggle, while holding fast to what the Scriptures teach.  Without hiding our beliefs, we need to look for opportunities to have conversations, build relationships, and demonstrate grace.
Maybe we should follow that example this Sunday. And next Sunday. And the next.
Regardless of the ruling from the Supreme Court, your church has the same mission it did last week: to love people and share the Good News of Christ with them.
We cling to the cross, stand on the rock, and remain steadfast in the hope found only in Christ.  And it is that hope which we are commanded to share with the world, whether Christianity is the cultural norm or not.Christians are increasingly considering the reality that we might be on the losing side of the culture war.  But we should not panic.  The sky is not falling.  Jesus is still King and God is still sovereign.
Fifty years ago, Christians comprised the mainstream in America and were fully accepted as a cultural majority.  Many during that time did not stand up for those who were weak and marginalized. The "good old days" so often longed for were also times of racial oppression, gender discrimination, and theological confusion.  The past simply wasn't that great for many when Christians had more influence.
As kingdom citizens, we are at an historic crossroads.  We can either get furious at them again and perpetuate the cycle or we can respond like Jesus.  Our mission demands the latter.During those days, Christians preached loudly and boldly the lostness of people without Christ.  We railed against atheists and Hugh Hefner.  They were not necessarily mad at us, but we were mad at them without apology for the lies and immorality they promoted in our world.  Over the past five decades, they returned the favor, marginalizing our faith as out of touch and culturally unacceptable.
If we are going to reach the world — including those who believe same-sex marriage is a civil rights issue — we must learn to love them.  All of them. 
We can address religious liberty concerns as they come with firm resolve and Christ-like humility.  Even though the playing field may have changed, the mission of God has not.  We are not here to protect our ways and traditions.  We exist to show the world the love of Christ and share with the world His good news.So, don't rant on Facebook.  Don't lose your temper on Twitter.  Don't rage to your neighbor or coworkers.
No election, referendum, or court ruling will ever change that.

And be blessed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The article is very well-written and thoughtful. I completely agree that we are to show love and grace. I know I am in the minority as a Christian since I am in favor of gay marriage, but I deeply respect other Christian points-of- view. As you and I did on the blog a couple of days ago, there is always room for a civil and respectful discussion.

Now, call me crazy, but now that gay marriage will be legalized, I believe the same "rules", as it were, should apply to everyone. Sex without marriage is wrong. If an individual is gay but unmarried, then sex is off limits. The same as anyone else. The same as me. It is entirely possible to honor your commitment to God in this area.

So, those are my thoughts on the matter. I may have more to say once I contemplate the article, though.

Anonymous said...

PK, I have been re-reading this article and the blog post that we discussed gay marriage. I believe strongly in equality and I cannot see how a ban on gay marriage is anything but unfair. However, I was trying to step back and look at it all objectively from God's perspective. Do you believe I am being openly defiant towards God to support gay marriage? I don't FEEL as if I am being defiant...to me that sounds malicious. My intention is to be fair. I don't really think that being gay is a choice, for the most part. Is it unrealistic to require that all gays be celibate forever since they wouldn't be able to marry? This is a very complex issue.

Why do you suppose that God says that it is immoral? Homosexuality has been since the Old Testament. We kind of touched on this subject a while back. You said that homosexuality is wrong on so many levels. I'm wondering what you meant. I think this a very important topic, especially in light of DOMA. I was wondering if you might shed some light on it?

Anonymous said...

This, unfortunately, is very true:

"As kingdom citizens, we are at an historic crossroads. We can either get furious at them again and perpetuate the cycle or we can respond like Jesus. Our mission demands the latter.During those days, Christians preached loudly and boldly the lostness of people without Christ. We railed against atheists and Hugh Hefner. They were not necessarily mad at us, but we were mad at them without apology for the lies and immorality they promoted in our world. Over the past five decades, they returned the favor, marginalizing our faith as out of touch and culturally unacceptable."

I have had many articles or message boards on this decision by SCOTUS. So many unbelievers are so angry with us. For every one person who is a Christian there are another nine who are not. It is such a hot button topic and people get pretty worked up about it all. I have so many feelings when I read some of the posts from unbelievers. It does bother me because I think the vast majority of us are kind and loving people. It seems a little unfair to lump us all together. Many atheists think that believing in God and Jesus is like a fairy tale. Now that makes me incredulous and a bit sad. How can someone not believe in God? The whole beautiful world is His love letter. I haven't jumped in the fray on the subject so far. I'd love to talk to other Christians about it all. I wonder what the other members of our church family think...without getting angry.

PK's BLOG said...

Yes, I wonder....

PK's BLOG said...

It's good you're trying to see this from another perspective besides your own - and by that I mean, from God's perspective.

I don't think you're being defiant at all - you're trying to figure it out. I also don't believe fairness should be a factor in our reasoning. We could make a strong case that God is anything but fair. He is what He is. He does what He does.

What we cannot (or should not) say is: I don't understand it or agree with it, therefore it cannot be. "Can the clay say to the Potter, 'Why did you make me this way?'"

Our understanding begins with where we place our trust/faith/hope.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know we cannot understand God's ways. He can see the whole picture. When it comes to these type of things I usually try to put myself in the others shoes.

I have one friend I used to work with and he and his partner are going to get married...they live in MN and it is legal.

Anyway, I really like the author's article. Anger never solves anything.