Wednesday, June 26, 2013

BOARD

Remember the first time you climbed the long ladder up to the high dive?  I remember.  I walked to the edge of the board and the closer I got the more my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest.  I peered over the edge and it looked to be a hundred miles down.

And even though the physical risk was small, the natural reaction was to inch backward and grab the railing because that made my heart rate go back to somewhere near normal.

But the reason some people are bored with their spiritual life is because they've been hanging onto the railing for so long.  They wonder why their heart isn't beating fast for Jesus like the guy next to them.  The reason is there's no risk involved while we're clutching the railing.

Maybe what we need to do is ask God to walk with us back out to the end of the board where our toes are off the edge.  Because when we're at the edge, that's when our prayer life really gets serious.  That's when we hang on tighter to God.

'Isn't that a risk worth taking?'

Perhaps the edge of your board means taking a risk to go on that missions trip you've always thought about going on.  Yeah, it's expensive - sure, you'll need to take vacation - yes, it will mean using some savings - and yes, God is going to do something unexpected when you go.  Isn't that a risk worth taking?

Perhaps the edge of your board means stopping next door before walking into your house this week.  Maybe it's taking the God-conversation two doors down to the people God has been calling you to talk to.  You've thought about it a hundred times - you've planned the conversation in your brain and then cancelled last minute.  If you took a step their direction, maybe they'd take a step toward Jesus.  Isn't that a risk worth taking?

Perhaps the edge of your board means beginning the repair of a broken relationship.  You didn't even do much wrong, yet things are broken.  God has already spoken to you about it; you've just been putting it off.  Isn't that a risk worth taking?

Let God pry your fingers from the railing and walk you to the edge for the first time in a long time, because the life you're called to is either a risky, bold, faith-filled, unexpected journey with the God who loves you, or it's nothing.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I will have to pray about that. My life has been pretty exciting and awesome lately thanks to God. But I am ready for an adventure with Jesus! I know He will help steer me in a particular direction.

I have ALWAYS had a tender spot in my heart for the homeless. So many times I was tempted to just take a couple of loaves of bread and make sandwiches and take them to wherever they stay in Kenosha. I know some are in overnight shelters, but there is only so much room so I am sure more sleep outdoors. I admit, I haven't because I am afraid something might happen to me. Maybe I can convince a friend to go with me.

I just moved and I was getting rid of some things I didn't need. Almost all of it went to Goodwill. But I had one quilt that was stained so I threw it away. As I did so I thought, you know, some homeless person might need it and wouldn't care if it was stained. But where to go to give it to someone? One persons trash may be another person's treasure.

I would go on a missions trip in a heartbeat now that I am unemployed, but there is no money to do it. God would have to intervene in a big way. PK, how does one go about it if there is no income? Surely I am not the first.

God has me flying pretty high now, but I want more! I just want Jesus to take my hand and make things happen and make a difference.

Anonymous said...

I think God must be whispering in my ear right now. I have a few options I could take to have someone go with me to give out sandwiches to the homeless in the evening or maybe just during the day. I can call the Shalom Center to find out where to go. I am volunteering at the Convoy of Hope this month. Maybe I can check around and see if anyone would be interested. Or with Hands of the Lamb or even go to Freedom Seekers and check. Once I know what part of town to go to I might go back sometime.

I have been in touch with a couple of the ladies about First Step. I want to start serving next month. This month has been too busy with moving. Where there's a will there's a way! :)