Thursday, June 13, 2013

AVERAGE

I will confess to being flat-out average.  There isn't much spectacular about me.  I'm way taller than average - but otherwise, I'm not particularly great looking or ugly - I don't have a ripped body or a bloated ship - the skills that once set me apart I no longer use much - and on it goes.

I'm not trying to be humble about that, nor am I seeking unsolicited compliments (not that I'd turn them away), it's just true.  I'm "C+" average.

I've lived a lifetime trying to be special.  And yes, there have been single moments where I've achieved something worth noting.  But overall, I don't know that I've done anything in particular that would illicit a big parade in my honor.  Sure, there have been successes along the journey.  I've reached some life goals already.  I've been to a lot of places in the world.  I'm a
good multi-tasker, so there is that.  When you call me on the phone, I'm probably talking to you and playing solitaire on my computer at the same time, just so my hands keep busy.  But none of those are things a million others haven't also done.

Average.

For every Donald Trump there are a thousand Dave Thompsons.  You don't know who Dave Thompson is, do you?  Exactly.  (If your name is Dave Thompson, my apologies.)

'Average doesn't mean I can't change the world.'

But listen ... average doesn't mean I can't change the world.  The disciples of Jesus were all average - and look.

So I've decided that what is un-average is a life filled with the Fruit of the Spirit:
Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Goodness
Kindness
Faithfulness
Humility
Self-control

If I can get those nine down, I figure greatness can't be far behind.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm, PK if you are average then I am in big trouble! You are: very intelligent, a singer, a musician, a compelling speaker, a nice person, a great guy, compassionate, good at giving advice, you haven't become pastor of a mega-church by accident, objectively attractive. So there you have it.

I have been below average when I was sinning with a stronghold. I was wasting my life.

Now, I think I have the potential of being pretty awesome. Thanks to God. I do it in a low-key way, but I know it my heart when I am shining.

I think I am doing pretty well on the Fruits of the Spirit, but I have a heck of a time with self-control. As was evident in my great sins recently. Aside from that I have little discipline. I pretty much do what I want and don't plan ahead too much.

So, I am average with a little glimpse of being more. :)

Anonymous said...

You know when you said if you are average it doesn't mean you can't change the world?

As you know, I have found some excellent speakers on YouTube. The lectures are called TEDtalks. They each are experts in their fields. Anyway, I have been exploring many different areas in my life that I am changing.

The ways I want to give to others. Also, I want to become "greener". All of the extreme weather conditions are due to climate change. I am changing my diet to fish, some chicken and very little to no meat. Two days a week I am going to go vegetarian. That term is actually called a "flexitarian". It will be healthier for me and better for the planet, too. There are a lot of ways to go green. I borrowed a couple of books from the library that are full of ideas.

Also, I am being more active politically. I have different groups on FB that support various bills on the things that mean the most to me. I've been able to lend my support on many issues.

I think there are so many ways we can all be better stewards of this world God gave us, love our fellow man, take care of our bodies and health.

I don't think that I came across all of this info by chance. I think God is at the wheel of my life. I just have to follow.