Thursday, May 9, 2013

PROGRAMMABLE

The most basic, yet most profound, teaching of the Bible is that 'God is love.'  It is the common thread woven through from Genesis to Revelation.   Jesus prayed about it in John 17.  All of creation was meant to express it and embody it.

God could have just made us love Him - made us do His will (Picture a string on your back that someone pulls and you say in a Ken/Barbie voice: 'I love you.').  That's the picture of forced love and obedience.  But love isn't programmable.

'Love isn't programmable.'

Instead, God wants to lead us as free agents.  But that means love must be chosen.  And choice means you can say 'no' if you want to.

Here's the catch - and it's a biggie.  If we choose to follow God and love like Him, we get life.  If not, we die.  Hmmm -- which should I choose?  It's a dilemma, isn't it?  Two very attractive choices.

No.

This isn't tough.

Choose.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's really hard to wrap my brain around the love that God feels for us. I know He gives us free will, but I also know that if we choose to love Him we can pray that we will love Him even more. He will help us if we choose Him.

My fervent and most only prayer is that He help me to love Him more. I know what it feels like to love someone so much that you are overflowing and filled with joy at the mere mention of his name. I want that. I want to be one of the ones who "Fall in love with Jesus." I seriously want to love Him so much that thinking of Him consumes my whole life and He truly is the center of my life.

So, that is my prayer. I am unmarried, so I want the love in my heart to be His. PK, do you think that love is a decision and an action...or is it a feeling?