Friday, April 19, 2013

RIGHTEOUS

Perhaps the most famous song The Righteous Brothers ever recorded was 'Unchained Melody.'  It came out in 1955 and hit #4 on the charts.  I wasn't born yet - I'm just sayin.'

Jesus told us our righteousness was not so much a matter of doing right things and avoiding wrong things - we're still learning this.  He looks deeper - in your heart.  He looks at your motives.

Because God isn't interested in plain ol' obedience.  It's a specific type of obedience He's after.  Because you can do all kinds of right things for wrong reasons and you and I both know that's garbage to God.  Nobody even has to tell us that for us to know it.

It kind of reminds you of those famous guys in the New Testament who loved to do outward acts --- all clean on the outside yet rotten inside.  What was their collective name again?  FAIR --- UH --- SEAS.  Yeah.  Them.

Jesus hinted that those types wouldn't get beyond the welcome mat of heaven.  Instead, He showed us how filthy we really were -- that no matter what you think your lowball characteristic is, it's actually far worse than you suspected.  If I think it's lust, it's really adultery.  If I think it's anger, it's really murder.  If I think it's a lack of self-control, it's really idolatry.

Jesus cuts us to the heart.

You can bring nothing to the table of Christ except your unrighteousness.  And you look beautiful to God that way - and He changes you from sinner to righteous.  Brother.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been sinning with a stronghold for the past 5 yrs. It grew progressively worse over that time. I kept praying for deliverance for the longest time. I am just so thrilled that God brought together the right circumstances to change courses. He has been helping me all along. I feel so good now and happy! I'm not sure what the term would be for my sin that is worse than what I know it to be.

Now, honestly, my only prayer is that my love for Him grows and grows. I want to be overflowing in my heart for Him. I picture myself with an inner glow of light that shines on the people in my life. I know I will get there, because I know my heart. Also, God wants us to seek him with all of our heart and I know He will be there. It's incredible to know, without a doubt, that He is holding my hand and leading me along.