Saturday, April 27, 2013

DISCIPLINE


I don't know if your child - the one you bore - has ever done or said something so embarrassingly out-of-line in public that you wanted to crawl under the carpet.  Wait - if you have children - even one - of course he/she has.

Sometimes it's a cute thing but still embarrassing:

(At the grocery store):  'Daddy - I gotta go pee-pee!!'

(In line at Menards):  'SAVE BIG MONEY AT MENARDS!' at the top of her lungs.  Or worse, at a Menard's competitor.

At a wedding reception where everybody is in their finest and Junior takes his fork and loads it up with peas and flings them across the room like a slingshot and hits the bride right in the veil.

(At McDonalds, referring to the person right in front of you): 'Mommy, is that a dwarf?'  Ugh.  (under your breath): 'Shh!  No, honey - she's just very short.'

We could go on and on with comments from children about someone's pregnancy, ethnicity, speech ...

And then there is that time - and of course, this is always someone else's child, not yours - who literally lays down in the aisle of the store and throws a complete tantrum - screaming and kicking and wailing at something they want that they can't have - and you watch the parent stand there with a variety of responses from compromising to coaxing to pleading to bribing to apologizing to threatening to playing child psychologist to bait-and-switch tactics to retreating to going around the aisle like the child doesn't belong to them to all out violence in return.

At those times you feel your face redden.  If it's happening to you, you want to hide your head - try to momentarily disown your family.  Sometimes you care more what people are thinking than responding to the heart of your child.

"We have to figure out how to be on their side against the sin."

The Bible says our Heavenly Father disciplines those He loves.  In our life with Christ it has become clear to us that God has sided with us against sin.  That is a big thing to say.  He has stood on the side of the sinner in order to redeem him/her.  If we let the life of Christ seep down into our every day lives, choices and decisions - as it should - that fact should impact our parenting.

When our children are so willfully disobedient, disrespectful, dishonest - we have to figure out how to be on their side against the sin - not against them.

Because whether it's your child banging his hands and feet on the glossy floor of the retail store or it's the adult you rebelling against God, discipline is really about restoring broken relationships.  That's what God did for you when He sent Jesus.  No doubt about it.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vividly remember my daughter asking an embarrassing question in the middle of the grocery store right as a man was walking by. I wanted to crawl under the cart...lol.

The sermon was very good tonight. My kids are grown now, but I hope many parents have gotten some wonderful ideas. I do have two grandchildren, though.

My own family was nothing like the Taylor's at all...too bad. I wish it had been. In reference to your sermon...yes, I am the nut..lol. I am sure you already figured that out. Even my family with my children and husband wasn't.

I was very loving, but not as creative and as good at disciplining them. I am so happy that even during their teens we had very few problems with them. They were good kids. I was a SAHM, so I think having me there kept them out of trouble and we had more fun together. I know I did things wrong in those years, but my daughter just a spectacular woman and Mom. I am so proud of her. My son is a terrific, smart and talented man. I do wish my husband had spent far more time with him. He was too busy working and playing golf. I think they both missed out on a lot.

This series has given me so much to think about and learn. I can't begin to tell you how very much I wish he and I were there together. If he had been willing to put the principles in practice our marriage and family life would have flourished. I most certainly would have been ready to make those changes.

I am not looking to remarry at all, but if I ever should this series would be my bar for my marriage. Just a little romance and affection and conversation and honesty and I would have been thrilled. I would have adored him. All said, though, he really was a good man in many ways. There was more good than bad...I just would have been incredibly happy to have a exceptional marriage.

Anonymous said...

This really isn't directed to families or parents, but it is related to the series and is on my mind.

When my husband and I were dating I loved him so much I thought my heart would burst and I know he felt the same way. He was the man of my dreams. Over time as we were further into our marriage we drifted apart. It happened slowly, a bit at a time, until we lost the connection we had.

We ended up divorcing because we "fell out of love". We both thought we could capture those feelings again with other people, but it just wasn't true. It was such a stupid mistake. At some point, after our divorce, some book or something talked about how this is somewhat natural when you are together for a long time, but with a little care, you can get those feelings back.

We should have worked more on "US" and not given up. Neither one of us was saved and we just decided we would be better off. It was a terrible mistake on both parts. This series brought those memories back and I missed him. He remarried and I think he is happy, but I also know that he hasn't changed in his relationship with his new wife, either. He has taken all of his neglectful habits with him. New wife, same dynamics.

Anyway, I made a huge mistake and I hope anyone out there thinks long and hard about it. Just don't give up, people. You may very well find it is not worth it and it will be too late. Hang in there and give His Needs, Her Needs a try. Something tells me you won't regret it.