Saturday, April 13, 2013

CLAMP


I've been to my share of communication seminars and read my share of books on the topic, but I don't remember learning a great deal about keeping my mouth shut.

I know I lean toward being a 'fixer.'  What guy isn't?  I know wives love this.  My inclination is to hear the problem and respond with an easy, simple, 1-2-3 solution 'for dummies.'  Next.

When I've done this with my wife - sans the dummy comment - she has sometimes hinted if not outright said: 'I'm not really looking for you to solve the thing - can't you just listen?'

I think I'm getting better but ... you'll have to ask her.

Sometimes talking is just an attempt to show how much we know.  I've seen this happen in church lobby conversations.  Person A is talking and Person B jumps in with a ready-made solution.  Possibly the worst time to make a comment is when we most want to.

'Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.'   --- Winston Churchill

Maybe we should put a clamp on it more often.

Would you consider keeping your mouth shut to be one of your better forms of communication?  I'm just asking.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tonight at church I was thinking what a lovely and loving couple you are. To be emulated. Also, I think Joelene did a great job!

I can empathize with someone going thru a difficult time or be happy for someone who had something wonderful happen. I don't feel as if I need to fix it, unless I have a perfect solution. However, I am not a fan of small talk. My eyes tend to glaze over and I am planning what to do that night. I really do put a lid on it, because if I said what I am thinking and feeling, I would have no friends left. lol

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything to say about this.
:)

PK's BLOG said...

NIce.

Anonymous said...


Does the Bible have references to marriage that are applicable to the current generation?

If one of the partners is not religious, nor Christian and has no faith in God - what can be done to help this person?

Please advise.