Monday, March 25, 2013

VERTICAL

There is a trend in church culture and worship toward horizontal theology.  This is theology where you're at the center -- it's about what you get out of God -- what you're interested in -- the focus is you.

Vertical theology is focused on God.  Way better.  Way more Biblical.  It's more Biblical because God is the beginning, the end and the middle.  Man is none of those.

Nevertheless, we have one striking statement and expression of Christianity that illustrates the importance of both vertical and horizontal theology.  It is:



And be blessed.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

we talked about this exact thing in church Sunday. How Joseph (pit to Palace) had a God centered theology, and how it kept him in the right perspective through the ups and downs of his life.

Unknown said...

We talked about this in church sunday. Daniel (pit to palace) had a God centered theology. And it helped him keep proper perspective in the ups and downs of his life.

Anonymous said...

I see that in Joel Osteen. He seems to be part pastor and part motivational speaker. He often talks of how God wants you to prosper. However, had it not been for seeing him on tv I might not have come to a bible-believing church. His positive attitude is infectious. Before come to KFA I went to a Unitarian Universalist church. They are polar opposites from an A/G church. I never felt fulfilled there though.

Anonymous said...

My brother told me once that the UU church was the "church that believed nothing". At the time I was rather offended, since that is where I was going...but now I understand. They are all-inclusive, so much so that they didn't talk about God or Jesus. I always found that odd. In their effort not to offend anyone, He was basically left out. They focused more on community service. Coming to KFA was like going from night to day. I liked it. You are mostly God-centered and that feels normal.



PK's BLOG said...

And I love the idea that being GOD-CENTERED would be considered 'normal.' Thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

I have always believed in God, but for me I could never go back. Now that I have learned so much more about God and Jesus at KFA...I could never go anywhere else.