Tuesday, March 26, 2013

CATTLE

Random.  It doesn't get any more that than this.

I don't even know what possesses me to write along these lines today.  It's just 'one of those days' - the kind of day that folks who read this will go: "What in the world is our pastor doing with his time that he ends up writing about such things?  Get to work, man."

And ... considering the subject matter today, I may not blame you.

I'll be honest to say that I don't remember a lot from my childhood.  The gaps are very wide when it comes to my memories.  I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but my memories of pre-13 years old are extremely sketchy.  Pre-8 years old is nearly non-existent.  I probably need counseling.

The ping-pong table coming down on my fingers.
The kid who used to pick on me in junior high.
The big white house up the street where the Italian kid lived.
The guy next door who had 17 cats.
The dog I gave away.
Those I remember.

The dog.

I'm sure my mom can confirm or deny the accuracy of this - but it's what I remember and you can't fight City Hall with regard to memories.  They're locked in my personal vault and you don't have the right to alter them.

'Animals have no soul and they're as dead as your toaster right now.'

We had a little puppy - Cuddles, as I recall.  And to make a very short story even shorter --- one day I was outside playing with him and I gave him away to some people passing by who said he was cute.  Story over.

I don't know what happened to that dog.  It was 40+ years ago now so I'm pretty sure he (she?) is dead.  Not positive, though.

Other than the dog, I think I had a fish once.  And a turtle.  And ...... nope, that's it.  A dog, a fish, and a turtle.  The turtle might still be alive.  Again -- the memories are vague, but I'm pretty sure we put him in the middle of the street just to see what would happen when cars went by.

Anyhoo -- part of the job I love as pastor of JourneyChurch (www.ourjourneychurch.com) is to answer complex theological questions like 'Why did God make mosquitoes?' and the like.

Now and then someone will ask me about their dog - or cat - or fish or turtle.  Is he/she/it in heaven when he/she/it dies?

Sigh.  What do I tell them?  "Yes, of course, God loves all His creation and Rover is lapping up pure clean living water as we speak?" It sounds great, but it is mostly biased conjecture.

Or: "Don't be ridiculous; animals have no soul and they're as dead as your toaster right now."  Caustic.

I don't know that these guesses are particularly helpful, enlightening or healing.

"I really don't know" works a whole lot better for me.

Wimpy?  Maybe.

In the book of Jonah, God has relented of the pending disaster by saving the city of Ninevah, where the Bible says there were 'more than 120,000 people who didn't know their right hand from their left, and also much cattle?'

... and also much cattle?  What?

So really, I don't know.  I mean, I guess God loves stones (which He made) - and He loves armadillo (which He made) - and He loves you and me (whom He made)?  But does He love all of those in the same way?

Is Cuddles in heaven right now?  Half of me says, 'Why not?'  The other half says, 'Absurd.'  But really -- who knows?  I know that not a single sparrow falls to the ground apart from God's sovereignty and care.  And I know Ninevah's outcome had some connection - even remotely - to cattle.

Otherwise, I'm stumped.  If you're not, let me know.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gave your dog away?

Anonymous said...

Ummm...REALLY???? Don't take this the wrong way, but this is seriously the dumbest post you have ever done...lol.

PK's BLOG said...

Not even close.

Anonymous said...

Lol...I think you have set the bar too high...I expect a Master's Disertation from you...nothing less will do. :p

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs, the random and the insightful. They make me think, reflect and often, like today, laugh. I always look forward to them. God has gifted you in many ways - not everyone can blog - I think you do it well :) Thank you for all the ways you allow God to use you!