Wednesday, February 13, 2013

INTROVERT

When I've told certain people I'm an introvert, they have occasionally been shocked.  I think that's because of the fairly outward and forward personality I project while on stage every weekend.

Truth is, I am one.  An introvert, that is.  I love people, but my battery is charged when I'm alone and it drains when I'm around others.  It always feels nearly wrong to say that out loud, but it's true, and it's OK.

I think introverts are misunderstood and introverted - pastors even more so.  They don't fit the more stereotypical mold of charismatic personality, life-of-the-party, slap-you-on-the-back extroverted pastor and leader.

They can seem distant and aloof - cold, even.  Believe me, nothing grips and grieves me more than when people think that about me.  The inability to be with folks non-stop is a strike against.  The reluctance to be at the center of the arena with the spotlight on you is a perceived negative.

' ... Introverted pastors have to take extra measures ... '

That means introverted pastors have to take extra measures to insure people don't misunderstand them.

I guess I want to say if you're an introverted leader or pastor or person, sometimes you need affirmation.  You need somebody to say your true nature in this area doesn't need to spiritually transformed to be something it isn't - something better.

It would thrill that introverted leader you work with to hear now and then: 'We love the intense side of you and the depth you're able to share with us.  We love that you're a good listener - that you're creative' - or whatever applies.

We know the great value extroverted leaders bring to the table.  Both types are valuable and needed within organizations.  They make ministry and business and life richer and stronger.

Whichever you are, be thankful - and be yourself.

And be blessed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would make Pastor Dan, and Extrovert.

PK's BLOG said...

Anonymous, you are Master of the Obvious on that one. :)

Anonymous said...

I understand. Me, too. I've always wondered how you and Joelene handle seeing people who know you virtually everywhere you go. It must be hard. Anyway, you two always smile and are very gracious. I think one of the toughest things to deal with is when people assume you are unfriendly when you are actually somewhat shy.

Anonymous said...

This really has little to do with shyness, but I think it is one of the reasons I am an introvert. I never quite mastered the art of small talk. A little suits me just fine. I can think of a boatload of things I would rather be doing. I love serious, more substantial conversations, though. My Mom is the Queen of Small Talk. Then she recounts every word of what they said for people I don't know...lol. Anyway, I am sure that is why my friends are few, but treasured. I have no patience for people who have a crisis time after time. My real friends, I will be there for in heartbeat, though. I may sound heartless, but out of all of your readers I bet some understand.

Anonymous said...

With the Holy Spirit working through you, there would be no such trait as a introvert, no?

PK's BLOG said...

I think not. Introversion is not a negative trait. There are negative aspects of it just as there are negatives to extroversion. God refines us all but leaves the good parts of intro and extro in us.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had more Introvert qualities. I wish I liked to read more. I wish I liked my quiet time more...But, I get my fix by being around people. Watch a video, instead of reading. Well, I guess I will celebrate who I am and you can meditate who you are.

PK's BLOG said...

Yup. Be yourself that's the very best Prescription

Richard York said...

Christianity Today has a series of nine articles packaged under the title "Leading as an Introvert". One of the points they make is many of the largest churches in America are pastored by introverts.

PK's BLOG said...

I knew there was something I liked about Christianity Today. I've actually read that book(let). Thanks for letting the readers know.