Sunday, January 6, 2013

UNREALITY

'It was a fairy tale, no fooling.  It was unreality becoming real.'  That's a quote by R. Matheson.  

The church I grew up in - God love them - was, in several ways, unreal.  We wore clothes there that we didn't wear any other day of the week.  We went there to hear a style of music we didn't listen to the rest of the week.  We spoke and heard words spoken that we didn't hear spoken Monday thru Saturday.

'It was classic image management.'

We also seemed to act differently at the church I grew up in - God love them - than we acted the rest of the week.  We were ... well ... nicer on Sundays.  Nicer than we actually were.

It was classic image management.


The proposed solution to close the gap was to act just as weirdly Monday thru Saturday as we did on Sunday.  Maybe it's semantics, but I think the better solution is to act on Sunday the way we do Monday thru Saturday.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we went to the same church growing up.

Anonymous said...

I don't do it as much as I used to, but I would see other parishoners at church and think that they lived perfect and charmed lives. Some of them seemed so darn happy. I wondered how they got there. Once I got to know some of the people there I learned of their struggles, too. It may not be my own issues, but many of us had difficulties.

Having said that, there are still some "perfect" people there. I used to think you were one of them. You are the pastor, so God must bless everything in your life, right? Then, you began to open up on the blog and give a glimpse into who you are. And I warmed up to you as a person. You made it clear that you weren't on some pedestal just because you are the pastor. I thought you were just down to earth and kind of cool that way.

When I used to go to Catholic church, you just went to confession and started fresh on Monday. Then, you hear of all of the criminals who go to church on Sunday, too. Things aren't always what they seem.