Wednesday, January 23, 2013

BITE

Pope John Paul II said: 'All who live a just life will be saved, even if they do not believe in Jesus Christ and the Roman Catholic Church.  The Gospel teaches us that those who live in accordance with the Beatitudes - be poor in spirit - pure in heart - bear lovingly the sufferings of life - will inherit the Kingdom.'

The truth is, God has come down to save us.  We cannot climb up to reach Him due to our goodness, our graciousness, our humility or our man-centered attributes.

I won't give you my opinion on this; it's not worth that much.  But I can give you what the Bible says.

'There is only one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus.'  (I Timothy 2:5)

Jesus said: 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.  No man comes to the Father but by Me.'  (John 14:6)

Fairly clear.

Jesus again: 'There is no salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved' - only the name of Jesus.

The devil has always tried to get men and women to trust their own reasoning.  Isn't that how the whole thing began in the Garden?  'Don't believe what God says.  Eat everything.  You and I both know it's the path to knowledge and enlightenment.  Bite.  Chew.  Swallow.  Enjoy.  Trust your reason.'

Bite.  Chew.  Swallow.  Enjoy.

He's still saying that in 2013 and doing a pretty good job of getting people to bite, chew, swallow and enjoy.  'You can get there through your reasoning.  Don't worry about the Bible.  Don't worry about God.  He's good, right?  And if He does something your reasoning defines as not good, well then ... I rest my case.  You don't really need God.  Just be the best you can be.  It'll all work out in the end.'

Bite.  Chew. Swallow.  Enjoy.

And die.

See?  He never tells you that part.

Believe - and live.  Forever.

And be blessed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The truth is, God has come down to save us. We cannot climb up to reach Him due to our goodness, our graciousness, our humility or our man-centered attributes."

This is one of the things that trips me up. You say we cannot get to God with these works, yet we are supposed to do them as Christians. We are to be "almost" perfect in carrying out His will. I can tell you, there are many Christians who sin, confess, then do it again...including me. What good is a confession then?

Also, I definitely believe in Satan and Hell. I know he whispers in my ear many times. I just know that ultimately I have free will and the direction I take is mine. Maybe if I knew more of the bible I wouldn't be as questioning. I just can't say that it was all Satan when I know it was me as well.

I do believe in God and I do need Him. I just wonder if He needs me...to be more than kindling in the fires of hell. It is so unfair. God wants all of the diamonds and throws the pearls away.


Anonymous said...

PK, I am still so angry with God. I suppose I should pray about it and when I feel better about it all then re-read your posts.

You are a wonderful pastor and one of the most intelligent people I know. It's not that I don't believe you. I'm just mad at God right now. Normally I'm not, but when I think about my kids and me it's a whole different story.

Anonymous said...

Interesting points made by "anonymous". Lot of great discussion opportunities. The presupposition posted is that we do works because we are suppose to.

Whereas "work"s is really a response to love based on a relationship. Similar to: I behave in loving ways toward my husband and friends because I love them..not because I am suppose to. As simple as that sounds...it really changes everything. My behavior is a result of being in relationship. I care about what they care about. It's the same thing with God. We do what we do because its who we are when we love and care how God thinks and feels. Our confidence of going to heaven comes about when we are in a loving relationship with God because we know him, not because of what I'm suppose to do. (Eph 2:8)

Anonymous said...

Interesting points made by "anonymous". Lot of great discussion opportunities. The presupposition posted is that we do works because we are suppose to.

Whereas "work"s is really a response to love based on a relationship. Similar to: I behave in loving ways toward my husband and friends because I love them..not because I am suppose to. As simple as that sounds...it really changes everything. My behavior is a result of being in relationship. I care about what they care about. It's the same thing with God. We do what we do because its who we are when we love and care how God thinks and feels. Our confidence of going to heaven comes about when we are in a loving relationship with God because we know him, not because of what I'm suppose to do. (Eph 2:8)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post Cherlyn. That makes perfect sense and I appreciate your willingness to speak with me...really I do. I'm not sure that you have children, but when I think of mine going to hell it doesn't seem right. They both live across the country, so I have very little influence when it comes to God and Jesus Christ. I am sure I would be a much better role-model for them if I lived nearby.

I suppose if I was a true Christian and still didn't try to show my love for God by doing good works then I miss the whole point.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I absolutely love your honesty! It's really beautiful! It seems like you are in a relationship with God because you can't be "angry" with someone you don't think is real. They say "The opposite of love isn't hate. The opposite of love is apathy". You have commendable passion.

I think I can relate to what you described. It is tough to realize that we don't have influence or control over who are children are or the decision our children make because of distance and we don't have control over the way God chooses to operate and be who he is. For me, the reality of those two things can make me feel squeezed "between a rock and a hard place", or, "having my back against the wall", or in a place that I really don't like..and it all just makes me mad and it makes me want to get angry with someone about it all!

Anonymous said...

Exactly, Cherlyn. I do feel stuck. Some of it is my own doing, though. I know they have heard the gosple and about Jesus in an abstract way, but there is a big difference in just hearing it and REALLY hearing it. Taking it in, thinking about it and what Jesus did.

I most definitely believe in God. I just have some significant flaws. I have prayed and confessed, but I really don't think it means a whole lot if I don't truly change.

I am sure that God is ok with my anger. He can deal with anything. He does know me better than I know myself so I am sure He knows I do love Him.