Sunday, January 27, 2013

APOLOGETIC


I've been personally debating of late the importance / necessity of contending for the faith.  I know the Bible talks about it, so there is a usefulness.  We're told to 'make a defense.'  It's a translation of the word from which we get the term, 'apologetic.'  

An apologetic isn't an 'I'm sorry' attitude - nor is it a defensiveness or antagonism against culture; it is a reasoned statement of belief.

The Gospel, therefore, should make sense in a world where things aren't as they should be.  We need a reasonable defense for our faith.

'We have to make peace with the fact that we won't have every answer to every question.'

But what we need as much as that - or more - is to make peace with the fact that we won't have every answer to every question.  Even more we should consider if having all the right answers is really the goal for us as followers of Christ.  Is possessing every correct answer really the expectation of Jesus for our lives?

I can't bring myself to say 'Yes' to that question.  We need Biblical clarity, but must everyone become a professional apologist?  I just don't think so.

Disciples of Jesus who are humbly secure are also extremely compelling to others.  That kind of faith is an apologetic in itself.

I have stomped on hearts before in order to impress minds.  But the Gospel of Christ is incredibly meek.  Our hope in Jesus keeps us from arrogance because we don't hang our worth on right answers.  Our worth rests in what Christ has done for us.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not exactly sure what you mean. Is that like Ken Ham being an apologetic in his teachings?

There have been many times that I have asked questions that you cannot answer. I just figure if you don't know, then it is not surprising that I don't.

To be honest, I think you have stomped on my heart plenty of times with your intellect. I have come to you in ignorance or innocence. Anyway, there are some things that only God knows and that's okay.

PK's BLOG said...

It IS ok, but it is only ok if we put whatever faith we might have, great or small, in Christ. Be blessed.

Anonymous said...

You be blessed, too. You're an awesome person. I have seen Ken Ham several times and he describes himself as an apologetic. I don't really understand it all. Is it that apologizing for the truth of the gospel and the history of the bible? I'm lost on this one.

PK's BLOG said...

Apologetics is just a word that means "to present a rational basis for the Christian faith, defending it against objections."

Anonymous said...

Gotcha, it seems you and PDan do this all of the time.