Monday, December 17, 2012

POPULAR

There's a tongue-in-cheek song from the hit musical 'Wicked' that's titled 'Popular.'  It's sung by the character Galinda to her fellow-'witch,' Elphaba.  

Some of the lyrics are:

"Whenever I see someone less fortunate than I, 
And let's face it, who isn't less fortunate than I? 
My tender heart tends to start to bleed. 
And when someone needs a makeover, 
I simply have to take over! 
I know exactly what they need! 

And even in your case, 
Though it's the toughest case I've yet to face, 
Don't worry, I'm determined to succeed! 
Follow my lead, 
And yes indeed, you will be ... 

POPULAR! 
You're gonna be popular! 
I'll teach you the proper poise,
When you talk to boys, 
Little ways to flirt and flounce.
I'll show you what shoes to wear! 
How to fix your hair! 
Everthing that really counts to be ... 

POPULAR! 
I'll help you be popular! 
You'll hang with the right cohorts, 
You'll be good at sports, 
Know the slang you've got to know. 
So let's start, 
'Cause you've got an awfully long way to go! 

When I see depressing creatures, 
With unprepossessing features, 
I remind them on their own behalf
To - think - of 
Celebrated heads of state, 
Or specially great communicators! 
Did they have brains or knowledge? 
Don't make me laugh! 

They were POPULAR! 
It's all about popular. 
It's not about aptitude, 
It's the way you're viewed, 
So it's very shrewd to be, 
Very very popular 
like ME!"


Nice.  

That said, Christianity has to be extremely careful when it is popular.  Excitement captivates and draws folks.  We witnessed it just this past weekend in our area:  Packers vs. Bears.  Second service was way under-pewed since half of those usual attenders either came Saturday night or to Sunday's first service instead so they could be home by noon to catch the big game.

Guess we're less captivating than the Packers.  It's OK though; at least they came.  

This happened to Jesus, too.  He was really popular - for a time.  He would have made a great TV mini-series.  Crowds were growing larger and larger, following Him everywhere.  

But He also attracted shallow fun-seekers.  At one point they all started walking away, deciding this wasn't the gig they were really interested in.  That's because real disciples aren't attracted by glitz and glamor, but by the truth - by power - by the integrity of the message.  

So 'hang' popular.  Just dish out the truth with strong doses of grace and love - and see what happens.

And be blessed.

No comments: