Monday, October 15, 2012

SECO

The two holidays people spend the most money on today are --- Ready?  #1 - Christmas -- we all knew that, didn't we?  But did you know the #2 holiday was -- Ready?  Halloween.  

Add to that the fact that churches growing the fastest right now are: #1 - Megachurches and #2 - Home Churches.  

The very same people in 2012 culture will spend their hard-earned money at Saks Fifth Avenue on Monday and be at Goodwill shopping on Thursday.  Go figure.

People want to be left alone and belong at the same time.

It's a very confusing age in which to do ministry right now.

A few years ago, Bounty, the towel manufacturer, faced this 'ministry' problem as well.  They found out that people liked both smaller tear off towels and bigger tear off towels - half-and-half.  What to do?  Their solution was to create a towel where a consumer could tear off one, two, three or forty-two sections, personalized to their needs.  Smaller or bigger?  Yes.

I read recently that there is a church out West (where else?) that offers ten-minute services, including a 60-second message.  I can't finish a good cough in 60-seconds.  Evidently they offer a welcome, a reading of scripture on video, a 60-second explanation, an illustration, a short chorus, an offering and a handshake and 'buh-bye' at the door.

Who says it should take 45 minutes to deliver something that will fulfill the desire for deep teaching and energize a man for the week to come?  Who says?

That got me thinking that maybe all really good blog posts should be able to be read in 60 seco ...

Oops.  Time's up.

Sorry.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Brandyn Shepherd said...

I find it interesting that they offer a 60-second sermon at this church. In my Hom II class the instructor says that a sermon should be at least 20 minutes long but no longer than 40, as to not lose your audience. But really, who came up with that idea? Why couldn't a sermon be less than 5 minutes? On the other hand, can you really develop an idea and deliver it in that amount of time? Take a verse. Can you interpret that verse beyond just what the author is writing in that setting and apply it to our lives today in such a short amount of time? I think that it takes longer than 60 seconds to dive deep into the meaning of the text both then and now.

Anonymous said...

One, Goodwill is the best! When I ushered, I got virtually all of my dress clothes there.

Wow, 10 min church....unreal. I see it was in the West. I am guessing CA. I lived there for 20 yrs and it wouldn't surprise me.

I think, for sure, that you pastors have it right. 35-45 min is perfect. And, as far as your blog..the more in depth it is, the more I like it. :)