Sunday, October 7, 2012

NAG

Here's something I encounter over and over as a pastor:  I run into somebody in a restaurant or at the gym and they start pouring out their soul to me right there about a situation that has come in their life that has turned very difficult - and my heart goes out to them.

And very often I ask the same question - not because I don't care - it's because I do care that I ask it: 'Is anybody tracking with you in this?  Are you connected to some folks in a life group of any kind?'  

And over and again I hear the same answer:  'No, I don't have time for that.  No, I'm not in a group.'  And they're hurting and they need somebody.

The truth is: Life Transformation and help and healing take place best within the context of authentic community.  The best thing you can do to advance your walk with Christ is to take what has been private and make it known to a small handful of people - to open God's Word and pray and grow and serve and do life together.  When that happens, remarkable things take place.  But you have to open your heart consistently and over time in order to be changed.

'This isn't just you and God trying to work thru all your issues by yourself.'

This isn't just you and God trying to work thru all your issues by yourself.  It's you bringing all this you-and-God stuff semi-public to a group of people who can get to know you so they can encourage, challenge, prod, nag you on in your walk with God.

Show me a follower of Christ of whom you'd say, 'From the outside looking in, that person is maturing - they're growing - they're consistent - they've broken that bad habit - they've changed their priorities ... '  and I'll show you someone who - nine times out of ten - is in meaningful relationship with other believers.

But find someone who is inconsistent - they struggle and struggle with the same things year after year - they swerve to the right and then they swerve to the left - find me that person and I'll show you someone who most likely hasn't empowered others to walk with them on the journey.

Do life together.

And (you will) be blessed.

3 comments:

Toby Mueller said...

It is so true that when you do life together, you can share your burdens and your triumphs. I am thankful for our Life Group.

Anonymous said...

PK, I have a friend in the same situation. I have encouraged him to get into a small group of men to help with all the things he desires. 'To be free of his quilt, pain suffering and to become closer to God'. I do see movement coming now. Pray he makes that step.

Anonymous said...

I confess, I felt that you just wanted to get rid of me when you encouraged me to join a small group. Then, you gave a sermon on it and I understood that it was for all of us.

I used to belong to a wonderful small group, but it ended for reasons of our hosts. I loved those guys and I missed them for the longest time.