Thursday, October 11, 2012

MEGA

When people find out I'm a pastor, often one of the next asked questions is: 'How big is your church?'  I'll admit I find that an odd #2 - but of all the follow up questions one could ask, that's a favorite.

The truth is: I'm part of leading a megachurch right now.  That's probably just about the strangest sentence I've ever written.  In fact, I deleted it three times before it stuck to this page because it sounds braggy.  It also sounds funny because I never saw myself in a spot like this and I'm daily mesmerized and honored by the fact.  God knows.

I love it, though.  The potential downsides of 'big church' are well-known -- passive spectators, getting lost in the crowd, commercialization, non-relational leaning, stiff, etc.  Despite all those, it's gratifying to see how many of the folks at KFA (www.kenoshafirst.com) are passionate about their life with God - eager to connect via community - enthusiastic to serve - regularly offering hope to people far from God.  It's an exciting privilege to be part of that.

'Some people say big church isn't for them.  I know.  It isn't for everybody.'

Some people say big church isn't for them.  I know.  It isn't for everybody.  I get that.  I have some amazing friends who are doing awesome work in small cities and church settings.  I easily see why the environment of a smaller congregation is so appealing - so healing - so able to meet needs quickly - so family oriented.  It is perilous to discount the small.  Much good is done there.  The 'mouse' can be much more powerful than the 'elephant.'

There is beauty in both.  God works in ways big and small.  Small and big.  The God who thunders also whispers.  The One who parts grand seas fills humble jugs.  Sometimes it's the widow's mite or Gideon's small band that trumps the Brink's truck filled with cash or the enemy hordes.

God works thru the small seed and the hovering sequoia.  It's all good.

And be (mega)blessed.

5 comments:

Jeff Thomson said...

Thanks for this post Kevin. I pastor a "family" sized church, so classified by the stats producers. All sizes are need to accomplish God's work and no matter the size opportunities abound for involvement. My hope is that no matter the size the church the focus remains on reaching more for Jesus. KFA has a rich history of doing just that and I pray for your leadership to continue to influence heaven's endeavor. family-sized blessings, Jeff

PK's BLOG said...

Thanks for the kind words, friend. Richest blessings on the church God has given you.

Veronique said...

I love our church it really represents many spiritual opportunities to grow. There is a place for anyone for whatever needs need to be met. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

I love our big church...it was a draw for me when I first started coming there. Over time, I have gotten to know a couple of pastors, so it doesn't seem so huge. I love that!

I am so grateful and happy that you are pastor there. I can see your passion and dedication to your congregation. I know it is not a job, but a calling, but you give it all you've got. I am very proud of you.

Unknown said...

I grew up in a small church, where everybody knew everybody and everybody's "business". For me, that ended up to be a negative. Because eventually, no matter who you are, bad things/circumstances will come your way. Sometimes, we come to church to ask for assistance and prayer, and other times we seek church as a hiding place. In our church, our "mega" church, I can decide, not others, whether I want things between me and the church, or just me and God.
Thank you PK, and all of the pastors at KFA. I knew this church was my home the moment I walked through the doors 6 years ago. Blessings.