Saturday, October 27, 2012

GUS

If you need something to pray for this week, try praying for one of the guys I workout next to at the gym on a fairly regular basis.  I'm 101% sure he doesn't read this blog, so it's safe to post this.  I've been talking with him over the course of several months.  He doesn't know I'm a pastor yet.  It's never come up.  God has come up, but church hasn't.  Not yet.  It will.  Just not yet.

He's tatted up and bulky as all get out and could take me down in a New York minute.  I'm not totally sure what a New York minute is, but he could take me down fast.  I've learned a ton of things from this guy about working out - right eating - supplements (I don't take them, but I'm learning a lot about them) - as well as his personal habits.  They are dubious at best but that's how people who don't yet know Christ behave.  I've also learned how to handle 1,000 "F"-bombs during the span of one set of leg curls.  I didn't know that word could be a noun, a verb, an adverb, an adjective - even a preposition - but he manages it.

Believers who have their sensitivities offended by people who work or live next to them who continually use foul language need to re-examine God's sovereign placement of them in their jobs and neighborhoods.  Do you think you're in that company merely because it fits with your educational diploma?  Do you think God gave you that house on that street simply because it was a great deal?  Think again.

'You are divinely placed in a sphere of influence by Almighty God.'

You're there for a reason.  You are divinely placed in a sphere of influence by Almighty God.  Don't take that lightly -- and don't complain that your ears can't handle what the world throws out there.  It's what they do.  What you have deep inside you is greater than all of that business.  Get over it and get on with praying for open doors of opportunity to share the reason for the hope you have.

When you pray for my friend, you can call him "Gus," just to put a name to him.  That's not his real name, but I'm pretty sure God will know who you're talking about.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prayed for your friend. I was just wondering, if someone took God's name in vain, would you let God deal with it as He sees fit? Or would you say something? I know another friend who ran into that situation and she asked them not to do that. Most of the time, I cringe inside, but I am sure God can handle anything and, like you said, that is what the world does who is not a Christian.

Unknown said...

This is honestly one of my favorite blogs for two main reasons.
First, the fact that he doesn't know you're a pastor yet. I call it the "Christian Badge" that many people wear with pride but, ironically, can take it off when it's not convenient to be "christian". Second, that we are put in places and around people not to be reminded that we are "better" or more "christian" than them, but that we are to be an influential light in a way that we would want to be presented with a new idea or way of thinking.
PK, you are truly the best! And I can't speak for anyone else, but I am so very thankful that God put YOU in my life!
Carrie