Saturday, October 6, 2012

GETSIT

It's funny (not really) how some believers forget their own messy histories and decide they're now better than those who stood in pretty much the same place they once stood.  But somebody besides Jesus has to get it.

Our church can put a lot of great systems and processes to work.  We can do couples night and men's events and women's conferences and stuff for families -- but none of those can replace the disciple of Christ who just simply gets it.

Knowing your church will get it when you bring your friend is a very big deal.  If you've ever brought a friend, you know that.  If you've never brought a friend, you don't.

There are also folks nobody brought - they just managed to find the front door out there.  They drove into a parking lot, got out of their car, walked up to the entrance, stepped over the threshold, strolled into a lobby and then into an auditorium full of faces and experiences they've never seen or known before.

Who is thinking about their experience of congregational oddities?  Anybody?
Who is hoping they're having an OK time?  Anybody?
Who will step forward to let that person know we want them with us?  Anybody?
Who will go out of their way to ask their name or shake their hand?  Anybody?

'You think that role is unimportant?  Think again.'

Stats tell us the most powerful moments of a guests time at your church is the first two minutes.  It only takes that amount of time for them to decide whether or not they're going to return.  That means the most important factor wasn't the pastor or the singing or the coffee or the decor or the children's ministry or the message talk.  It was whether they felt welcomed and believed somebody was genuinely glad they were there.

So you might say: 'I don't know how to share my faith; I don't know how to do evangelism.'  OK.  Do you know how to stand at a door and smile and be friendly and shake a hand and show some hospitality?  Because I hear those are the kinds of things that help people decide whether or not they want to do Part Two with God when they come in to church checking us out.

You think that role is unimportant?  Think again.

If you understand that it's important, go to your church's information counter and let them know you'll make a difference by volunteering to be part of the First Impressions Welcome team (or whatever you call it at your church), because you're a person who gets it.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this is a late response, but I just got my computer back from repair.

I remember the first time I came to KFA. I was all alone and I had seen this huge church, so I decided to check it out. I suppose coming alone is a bit unusual, but I am used to doing what I want, whether or not someone else is interested.

I sat way in the back to be more anonymous and just blend into the crowd. Anyway, the tithing sermon was that day. You would think that it would have scared me away, right off the bat. However, I have a general rule to try something 3 times before I decide if it is for me.

I don't recall anyone being esp welcoming...but not too long later, you, PK was at the door saying goodbye to everyone. You had your big smile and I noticed that you made us all feel welcome. I have liked you ever since. :)