Tuesday, September 18, 2012

RIGHT

Author and speaker T. Ludwig says: 'It's more important to be kind than to be right.'  She speaks to children and classrooms about the impact of bullying, so I get that statement from her.

It resonates.

On the other hand ... I hate it that our options are either kindness or rightness.  Can't we have both?  Don't we desperately need both?  I think so.  Maybe a better way to say it would be: 'It's important to be right, but it's just as important to be kind.'

I have a former pastoral boss who, in his written evaluation of me (I still have it), said: 'Kevin is iron wrapped in velvet.'  I don't know if that was a compliment or not, but I've chosen to take it that way.  One of the recurring jokes from many in the music departments I used to lead, after occasional times of instruction, was: 'I think we just got reprimanded, but I'm not sure.'

Jesus was full of grace AND truth -- completely gracious -- altogether truthful.

I'd like to be like that when I grow up.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Kevin is iron wrapped in velvet.'

I love this! It does sound like you in many ways. I can learn much from you and Jesus' example. My style is more of straight up truth with no sugar coating. I've always felt that I will never know how someone feels unless they tell me. I do try to be honest, but I am not cruel about it. It's all a matter of style. Although, things we say or receive can be taken in ways we never intended. As social media becomes a newer way of communcating, much is lost in body language and facial expressions