Sunday, September 16, 2012

DIRTY

We hold Biblical values in constant tension.  For instance, we value the inerrancy of the Bible without compromise.  We are 1,000% committed to it, no matter how awkward, costly or unpopular it may be.

That's one value.

We also deeply hold to the Biblical values of being grace-filled and outward focused.

Jesus welcomed sinners, but He didn't just welcome them.  He genuinely liked them, He sought them out, He went out of His way to find them, He went to their home and enjoyed meals with them -- and now, He asks you and me to keep this kind of work going on His behalf.

'Let's get down and dirty.'

Jesus doesn't demand that we first sort ourselves out and clean ourselves up before we dare step into the light.  He invites us to step into the light in order to get sorted out and cleaned up.  You can't clean a mess in the dark anyway.

The role of the mature believer isn't to be afraid of messes or to avoid messes, but to wade deeply into messes.  Not to judge messes, but to slog thru messes with one who is struggling.

Let's get down and dirty.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very grateful that you and Pastor Lisa have been there to help me thru my messes. I still have a ways to go, but if not for you two, I would have no one. I have my parents, but they are either mad or worried. I try to avoid the subject as much as I can. Anyway, thanks to both of you for being there.

On a lighter note, Pastor Dan was hysterical in his wig and earring! I couldn't stop laughing. :)