Sunday, September 23, 2012

BIRTHDAY


There’s just something about birthdays.  You gotta love ‘em but at some point you don’t really want to.  But you still do.

Mine is today and I decided last year that 52 was going to be the last upward-in-number birthday I was going to have ... that I would start reversing it and be 51 this year ... then 50 in 2014 ... and 49 in 2015 ... and so on, until I ultimately Benjamin Buttoned myself into oblivion.

I know my ‘outward tent’ is wasting away.   2 Corinthians 4 tells me that, but honestly, I try to skip over that chapter whenever feasible.  

Nevertheless, today is the day and there's no denying it.  So, in honor of -- um -- myself -- here are ten reasons I’m thankful that I’m ------ er ------ 51: 
  • I am created by God and made in His image.  No matter what anyone may say, I am His child.
  • Whatever someone else may have meant for bad in my life, God has flipped it to good.  
  • I have experienced redemption, salvation, sanctification, justification, propitiation, and a host of other awesome ‘-ations’ as a result of knowing Christ.
  • I daily experience God’s grace and mercy - undeserved and unearned.
  • I am forgiven hour-to-hour by a God who pardons disobedience and passes over transgressions.
  • I have a great mom who knew how to give good gifts to her son and raised me to be what I am today (Thanks, mom).
  • I have good health.
  • I have a job I adore, working with a strong, talented and gifted team and am doing life with some of the most wonderful folks on the planet.
  • I have an amazing family second to none -- a gift-from-heaven wife -- three spectacular daughters -- two brilliant sons-in-law (and one in waiting) -- two very special grandchildren (1 boy, my pride -- and 1 girl, my joy) and a third on the way.  (Yes, you heard it here.)

  • I have an eternal hope and future in heaven.
Does it get any better than that at ---- ahem ---- 51 years of age?

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post PK. That's for sharing it.