Wednesday, August 22, 2012

SPIRITUALITY

There seem to be plenty of people who think if a leader is just spiritual enough, the church will automatically grow.  Not true.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to be spiritual - it's wise and obedient to be spiritual - but it doesn't account for guaranteed church growth.  I know a lot of super-Godly leaders and teachers who pray up one side and down the other, who are paragons of virtue and awesomeness, but their churches aren't growing.  In fact, some are declining.

I know there is great guilt and confusion over it and it grieves me as their friend.  "If I was more spiritual, this church would be growing," they say.  It may not even be unusual for them to think, if not voice: "Maybe this calling of ministry isn't for me.  I should just quit."

The full truth is, there is more to leadership than spirituality.  A leader must be spiritual, but that isn't all he must be.

We'll explore more on this in the coming days.  Stay tuned.

And be blessed.

@2010 LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES, LLC

2 comments:

Jeff Thomson said...

The preachers of the Old Testament were called prophets and God actually told several of them that their audiences wouldn't listen to them and their numbers would dwindle. As a minister I am encouraged by the examples of Jeremiah and Isaiah who were called to obedience to God first. During my bouts with the Monday morning blues I remember the call of the prophets and my need to be obedient to the one who put me on this stump and told to decalre the truth because He is listening.

Looking forward to your additional remarks on this subject.

Jo- said...

Growth is rarely about numbers, and more about a closeness to God. Growth is stepping closer to God, rather than just shouting outward about Him. Quantity often dilutes quality. I stand with you in prayer for those I know who struggle with their numbers. I know what they are doing is totally for the glory of God. And I know He is so well pleased with them. Inspite of the lack of attenders.