Monday, June 18, 2012

TOWARD


There is a presumption that, because I raised my hand for Jesus at some point - because I prayed a prayer - because I went to church as a kid - because I got baptized as an infant - because I cried and went forward at camp - because I prayed with my Grandma - that I accepted Jesus in my heart and now I’m fine.  I’m making it in.  

But Jesus seems to say over and again in Scripture, “No.  It isn’t just a one-time decision; it’s a lifetime journey.”  It’s a lifetime spent walking toward Jesus, not away from Him.  It’s like a marriage in that way.  You don’t just one day say, “I love you and I’m going to marry you, now get away from me the rest of your life unless and until I really need you for something.”  

Why do we get that with marriage, but not so much when it comes to Jesus?  Because our relationship with God is likened to a marriage, where God loves us and we respond to Him, but there’s that mutual pursuit thru the course of our lifetimes until it culminates with the feast to end all feasts in heaven described in Revelation chapter 19.
'It's not just a decision.  That's where people get tripped up.'

Anyone who responds with a ‘Yeah, I’d like to join that party,’ and simply confesses, ‘I’m a sinner and in need of a Savior and I want to repent of my wrong,’ which means, turn from it completely ... ‘and accept and believe the fact that Jesus died on the cross for my sins’ ... can become part of God’s Kingdom family ... and then the rest of their life is spent walking toward Jesus by praying and reading the Word and getting in community with other believers.  
And my honest prayer is that none of us are like the religious guy who says: ‘Well, I know I’M going to be there.’  No.  ‘Work out your salvation with great soberness,’ the Bible says.  Don’t presume on the grace of God - don’t take anything for granted where your eternal future is concerned.  If there is anything we shouldn't be casual about, it's eternity.
Keep moving toward Jesus.  It’s not just a decision.  That’s where people get tripped up.  It’s a decision that leads to a lifestyle.  It's a journey.  Keep walking toward Jesus.
And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me think, Pastor.
...work out our Salvation with fear and trembling.
However, you said not to presume on the grace of God? Wouldn't that be relying on ourselves for our Salvation? God's Word says It is by Grace you are saved, through faith, so that none may boast.
I don't take it for granted, but I do take it on the Word of God. What more do we need? What more do we have? My best efforts are as filthy rags in the eyes of a perfect God. I am never going to be good enough, or do all the things right. I try. I fall down. I can ONLY rely on the Grace and Mercy of God. Christ is my ONLY Hope. It's by His Rightiousness I am clothed. Thank God! And I stand by it. Not presumptiously. Not religiously, but Faithfully.

PK's BLOG said...

ANON:
Yes, I agree with everything you said. I am thankful and grateful for the powerful, merciful grace of God. It's not by works; it's His amazing grace. I'm with you on that.

I only use the phrase 'presuming on God's grace' in the sense that we cheapen it when we take it for granted. It comes freely, and yet, at the greatest cost ever - the death of God.

I only point us carefully and cautiously, though thankfully, to Romans 6:1, 2.

Often we want to be saved from the PENALTIES of sin but not from sin itself. We want to have our 'cake and eat it too.' We want the benefits of heaven without making any changes on earth. We view God's grace at great expense as merely 'fire insurance' - rescue from hell.

Dietrich Bonhoffer called it 'cheap grace,' but true repentance always results in true repentance. I think that's where I was coming from.

But I take it as you do, based on The Word of God.

Blessings and thanks for your great comment.