Sunday, June 10, 2012

GROWN-UP


I like to think I’m a grown-up.  I mean, I mow my lawn - I take care of the repairs on my car and my house - I make it to appointments on time and manage my schedule - I’ve raised three children.  But sometimes ... 
I did the cap and gown thing where I moved the tassel from right to left (or was it left to right?) -- I did it twice, actually -- so I know I’m grown-up.  When I look in the mirror, it’s pretty much confirmed.
'I need to think more like a grown-up and take responsibility for the things God is calling me to do.'

So I’m a responsible person and have great responsibility as part of my daily life, but there are moments when I like to avoid responsibility - things that are unpleasant or tiresome or challenging.  Maybe they’ll just go away if I wait long enough.  But inevitably, when I do that, the responsibilities - sooner rather than later - pile up to form one intimidating mound.
I’m glad Jesus didn’t do that when He was facing the Garden of Gethsemane and His eventual crucifixion - for you and for me.  I’m glad He dove into the responsibility and didn’t ignore it.  I’m glad He decided to take it on.
I need to think more like a grown-up and take responsibility for the things God is calling me to do -- things that will bless others -- sacrifices He’s calling me to make for the good of others -- things I know I won’t enjoy but I know are obedient to the Kingdom -- and realize that sometimes the only way to get rid of the pile is to drive thru it.
And be blessed.

No comments: