Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ALCOHOLIC

I am an alcoholic.  I have been for years with varied success of eliminating it from my life.

Not really - but I made you look, didn't I?

But wait.  Keep reading, because it's actually true.  I'm not an alcohol alcoholic - I'm a sin alcoholic.  Just as the alcohol alcoholic is one sip away from disaster, so am I, as a sin alcoholic.

I humbly acknowledge that the war wages brand new every time the sun rises.  I have had moments where I talk about my sin as if it's way in the past - completely conquered forever.  It isn't.

J. Fisher says 'sinners are never fully cured.'  He's right.  "Watch yourself" with that, the Bible says.

'I'm one sip away from being out of control.'


That's one of the things I love about our Monday night Freedom Seekers group.  They just put their sin out on the table.  Everybody gets to hear it and know it.  There is no hiding.  Sometimes I think six months of Freedom Seekers should be required for every believer.  It would probably do us good.  There are things too big for us to try to handle alone.

I wonder what would happen if we walked into church next weekend with the knowledge that every person we looked at knew about what we were dealing with inside - our lust - our pride and jealousy - our greed - our sin.  If everyone knew what kind of sinner we were, how would it change the way we behaved, how we treated others, how we listened and worshipped and prayed and confessed and ... you know?

I'm a sin alcoholic.  I'm one sip away from being out of control.

Hold tightly to Jesus - and to a life group.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Kelly Stanich said...

Very well put. As an alcoholic, I allow time and distance from my last drink to strengthen me to keep moving forward. As time passes, it gets easier but I would be lying if I said it doesn't cross my mind. It still does but so do other things like white lies, selfishness, lust, bitterness, unforgiveness, and worse. My issues are many. Everyday is a choice. I gotta renew my mind and remind myself of the hope to which I have been called. Everyday I walk in freedom more and more but never free from the fire darts of the enemy. I NEED my Savior, I LOVE my Savior, and that is what compells me to continue walking out what we call Christianity.

Dana Osinga said...

Thanks Pastor Kevin for expressing what so many of us are afraid or reluctant to...

rose said...

A great word to ponder.