Wednesday, May 16, 2012

READY

I was there the last time some famous guy predicted the world would end and Jesus would come back on a particular day at a particular time.  I was there.  I watched the clock with great readiness and anticipation.

He said it was going to happen this past October at 3:05 p.m. - on a Friday.  (It's always a Friday, isn't it? Like Jesus wants us to get in a responsible work week and THEN He'll come back.)


So that day, I was all abuzz.

6:30 a.m.     Woke up and brushed my teeth extra good -- took at least 4 minutes - twice the suggested amount of time.  Gonna see Jesus today.  Gotta have good breath.


7:45 a.m.     Kissed my wife goodbye.  Might be the last time I see her in this form, so ... 


9:57 a.m.     I begin to think about what happens if this thing really flies in just a little over five hours from now.  The potentially difficult appointment I'm about to head into in 3 minutes suddenly seems less daunting if it's really gonna happen.


12:15 p.m.    I head out for a little lunch.  Should I even bother?  Where do you go for your 'last meal' anyway?  Cracker Barrel.  OK.  Really?  I want the country-fried steak, but I order a chef's salad because I want to make it easier for Jesus to lift me off.  The man sitting over from me is having breakfast for lunch - munching on a piece of toast.  I wonder if he knows that in less than three hours, he's going to be one.  I should tell him, shouldn't I?  It would be the thing to do.


1:28 p.m.     My wife calls.  The sink is clogged at home.  I don't know why I care anymore.  Jesus is coming.  Let the sludge take over the house.  One hour and thirty-seven minutes and counting.


2:45 p.m.     I can't concentrate.  Jesus is coming back in twenty minutes.  I should go comb my hair or something.


3:03 p.m.     I stop all activity and just sit at my desk ... waiting.  The anticipation is killing me.  This is it.  If my office chair had a seat belt, I'd fasten it right now.


3:04 p.m.     I'm literally watching the second hand on my watch.


3:05 p.m.     Here it is.  Here we go.  Hold on.


3:06 p.m.     My watch could be fast.  Keep holding.  My knuckles are white on my chair.


3:07 p.m.     Nothing.


3:08 p.m.     Nothing.


3:09 p.m.     It was Central Time, wasn't it?


6:30 p.m.     I walk into the house - re-kiss my wife - sit down for supper (something Italian) - I shoulda had that country fried steak for lunch, but at least now I'm really really hungry - I'm still here - we all are - the guy was wrong.


After it didn't happen when he said it was going to, I read that this famous predictor postponed the rapture for another time -- this month actually -- May, 2012.

Better let Jesus know that -- but in any case, I'm having my country fried steak early.  Otherwise, I'm ready.

You?

And be blessed.

1 comment:

AronneRebekah said...

I love this PK! Though I've never actually believed in one of the "predictions" I'd say I'm ready. Your blog did something else in my heart though as I read it... it reminded me that I must live with eternity in mind. You see my family isn't saved so I might be ready but my family isn't. If in fact Jesus comes this month it kills me to think that we won't spend eternity with each other. Wow. Time to pray! Thanks for the push PK. :)