Thursday, May 3, 2012

CRY

I have been accused in the past of being unemotional -- aloof -- flat-lined -- look up 'stoic' in the dictionary and our pastor's picture is there --- stuff like that.  Kinder people have just called me 'composed.'  It's one step up from 'moron.'

Those things are as far from the truth as can be -- except sometimes I admit I may be a moron.

I don't think there's anybody more emotional than I; I'm just selective about what makes me emotional.

There is a societal belief out there that it's 'unmanly' to get emotional or cry.  I mean, take two guys in the movies who are out to save the world.  One is Bruce Willis; the other is Ben Affleck.  When faced with the daunting task of rescuing mankind, Affleck cries and Willis just takes off his shirt and delivers the Earth from the enemy.  Which would you rather be?  See what I mean?
Greek Model

But I read once that it wasn't always that way.  Evidently in ancient Greek culture, men were expected to cry - for instance, if their family honor was at stake.  One of the greatest signs of real masculinity was to shed tears.  But that's Greece, right?  I mean, you can easily envision this guy at right (Greek model) getting emotional if he has a sore hangnail, can't you?  The Greeks are the same dudes who competed in the Olympics without a stitch of clothing on, so ...

But even into the early years of American culture - or so I've read - men's tears were actually celebrated as signs of integrity and strength ... honesty ... as in, 'I actually give a rip' about something.

So I'll confess - I do cry.  Some of the things that cause me to get emotional are:

- When my kids call out of the blue for no other reason than to say 'hi' and 'love.'
- When my wife is hurt by me or someone else.
- When people discover God for the first time.
- When I see God doing such amazing things in peoples' lives that nobody but He could have pulled off.
- When someone consistently serving homeless, hurting, widowed and orphaned folks.
- When God speaks to me in ways that are unmistakable.


There's a bunch more I could share in this category, but I don't want you thinking I'm too big of a wimp.  And I apologize if you are Greek.  So see?  I can still be a moron sometimes.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

AronneRebekah said...

Wow! I love the way you put this PK! What you have helped me understand is that crying comes from a place of honesty. As a woman I feel I cry WAY to much but after reading your blog it reminds me that it comes from a place of honesty in my heart. :)

Jo said...

I have never thought that of you. I have seen you well up countless times...not to say you are a cry baby either. Actually I kind of feel like you cannot help but wear your heart on your sleeve. You are not as vocal as some, but your emotions are pretty obvious. In a good way. I remember when you prayed for the congregation asking us to look at you as you did this. BothNorm and I could not control our emotions! To see our pastor that invested in us really meant a lot to us. Brave face, tears, whatever...you have a great compassionate heart. And it shows.

Anonymous said...

I believe that men in my parents generation and beyond have been told that it is not okay to cry. It is seen as weakness. That is really to bad because I think that it is a sign of openness and brokenness that we are not strong enough to take on the world alone. Great blog PK. Thanks.

liveit said...

God shirts
I have read all the article,and i want to say thanks to you for this useful information.