Monday, May 28, 2012

COMMUNICATING


If you do any communicating to crowds, large or small, here are a few tips/pointers to help you stay connected to the listeners ... 
BE REAL and HONEST - It's OK for people to see you're actually human.  Personal stories are the best way to do that.
TALK LIKE A REGULAR PERSON - i.e., Don't have a Christian accent.
BE FUNNY - I'm not really a funny person (although some people disagree - thank you).  I've found the best humor comes thru my every day life, which is a real riot.
DON'T TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK - Joelene corrected me on this years ago after giving a message where it was basically MY thoughts, not the Bible's so much.  "People don't care what you think, honey."  Uh -- thanks -- 'honey.'
AVOID THE SPIT SHINE - People may think you're overly polished - and that's bad - if you have every syllable down to a tee.  Leave some room for 'off the cuff' stuff.  (I think this may be my Achilles.)
TELL ME WHY IT MATTERS - Why should I listen to what you have to say?  How does affect me on Monday morning?
And be blessed.

3 comments:

Jonathan Foster said...

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK"
Right - a pastor's job is to proclaim God's word. And HIS word is the only one worth listening to!

Anonymous said...

Yup on the spit shine. Sometimes from the booth, the two services are the same down to the pauses, the hitches, and even where you look.

Still, I think you are THE BEST I have ever heard by a mile. I ALWAYS like to hear it a second time.

PK's BLOG said...

Well, thanks for those extremely kind comments. Let's call it 'consistency.' And honestly, I don't plan where I'm looking. That's just a freak thing. That part is just 'me.' :)