Tuesday, May 29, 2012

BRAG

I'm not bragging when I say this - really I'm not - but I've always been the 'after' picture of being a Christian.  Know what I mean?  I never really had much of a 'before' picture.  I used to be jealous of the people who gave testimonies about being delivered from tons of alcohol, drugs and sex, but I've always been the perpetual Christian insider ... the teenage guy all the really good Christian moms would point at to their daughters, 'Why don't you date him?'  The teenage guy all the really good Christian dads would point at to their sons, 'Why can't you be good like him?'  


'I'm a Christian today because God chose to have a relationship with me ... '




Like I said, I'm not trying to brag.  Because of all that, I wasn't real popular with my friends growing up.  Weak smile.

I've committed near suicide several times by jumping off that pedestal but honestly, I think I crawled back on it in a few days -- or minutes.

My conversion experience, it seems, has not been so much about conversion as it has been about - as one author puts it - 'extraction, like peeling away the outer layer of traditional Christian expectations from the orange of my Christian experience, trying to determine what to keep and what to throw away.'


So I have this really sticky juice that squirts in my face and rolls down my arm - yes, even me - the 'after-only' picture guy.  I am messy too.

It would be great to say, 'I'm a Christ-follower because:
... my parents taught me the Word of God ... 
... I spent tons of hours in church ...
... so many Christians provided a good example around me ...
... I was in a great youth group ...


Those things are all great - valuable even - but the fact is, I'm a Christian today because God chose to have a relationship with me - and I, in turn, have chosen to have one with Him.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great how God uses us all in different ways. One thing I know for sure that you are Pastor...Is an ENCOURAGER. For that, I am thankful. Be Blessed

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

I know exactly what you mean. Many times I had wished that I had a dramatic testimony like so many others I know. But, I have learned to appreciate the Christian upbringing that I have been blessed with. God can use me too! God uses all Christians, no matter their background! All we need to say is, "God, here I am. Use me.". I believe God ALWAYS answers that prayer!

- Jim Pinter