Wednesday, May 23, 2012

ABERCROMBIE

I never know what to wear when I go places these days.  Dress codes have become fashionably unfashionable.  I wear jeans almost exclusively on weekends for church now, something I never would have done even five years ago.  Some people don't like that, I'm aware, but it hasn't hurt the telling of the Gospel or how many people want to be prayed for or the number who receive Christ or attendance in general.  I'm sticking with it now.

A few people have mentioned what prevents us then from coming in shorts and a tank top some warm weekend.  I don't know if that's a good argument or not - but I don't plan to (nor is anyone on our team going to).

I went to a wedding not long ago wearing a jacket over a pair of jeans - it didn't seem to raise an eyebrow.  Funerals - same thing these days, unless I'm officiating.  That's still black suit and tie, just like the guest of honor is wearing.

A few years ago, Joelene and I were in a mall with our family at the holidays.  As we walked by the Abercrombie & Fitch store, Joelene noticed they had a 'holiday model' out front, showing off their A&F clothing.  Only thing was, he wasn't wearing much of it.  He was young - very well built - and had only a pair of jeans on - no shirt - no socks or shoes - just jeans.  All A&F models in pictures - and evidently, real life - go shirtless.  I actually GOOGLED for a pic of an A&F model to put in this blog - just to spice it up a little - but I couldn't find one fully clothed.

Joelene was outraged that they would advertise in such a way at the holidays, or any time of year.  She thought the model was going to catch his death of pneumonia standing there like that, so she said she was going to 'Go over there right now and give them a piece of my mind.'  I was like 'NO WAY!!' and she was like 'WAY!' -- and she did.  She marched across the mall hall and gave that nice young naked man a good motherly talking to.  Then she proceeded on into the A&F store to speak to the manager.  He listened respectfully and said he would let the upper management know how she felt about it.  I was very proud of her and told her so, after I came out from hiding behind the rack of gray v-neck t-shirts, size small - proving that A&F does actually sell shirts.

Sometimes we want to dress up the Gospel, but it's just the Gospel, no matter how it's dressed.  There isn't anything to hide or change there.  It doesn't need argued for, debated about, striven for - nothing needs to be done to it.  Everything has already been done.  The issue isn't the dressing, it's how to make certain it's living in me and you - a much more challenging proposal.

And be blessed.

No comments: